Noob Cleaning equipment question

svenpup

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 18, 2009
Sacramento, CA
My pool came with a Polaris 280, that was running on a timer a few hours a day when I bought the house I saw no reason to change anything (other than emptying the bag every couple days).

In the garage is a vaccuum hose along with (based on the pictures in the Visual Encyclopedia) a Plaster Vacuum and a Leaf Bagger.

Is there any reason for me to ever use anything other than the Polaris? When would I need to use the other stuff?

There doesn't appear to be a dedicated vaccuum line. Am I correct that I take out the skimmer basket and put the vaccuum hose in the strainer? It doesn't look like it would really plug in, so is the suction enough to keep the hose in place? I haven't seen a Vacuum Plate around.

Sometimes, I like to be able to pull out the pool vac head and attach it to a pole and use that system, especially if I am in a hurry to get the pool floor spotless (for example, if we are having a party in a couple of hours). Yes, the automated cleaner will get everything eventually but sometimes I just don't want to wait for it to get around to everything. I would hang on to it.

Depending on the model, if you don't have a dedicated cleaner line, you can connect the vac hose to the system through a skimmer. The cleaner generally comes with one or two universal adapters that allow for it to be connected to the skimmer line. This may either be a plate to fit over the skimmer basket or it may be a hose end coupler that inserts into the suction line at the base of the skimmer under the basket. If the system you have is designed to connect directly to the suction line at the bottom of the skimmer, it is a good idea to use a leaf trap somewhere in the hose. This will help you keep large objects from obstructing your suction line. Cheap insurance!

i just got done vacuuming with the pole and the vacuum head. I to like to vacuum before we have anyone over... but i also run my Polaris 280 most of the time when we are not swimming. It does a nice job but just takes time...
good luck and you better keep you vacuum head, you will need it sometime!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.