Any Truth to this?

Apr 16, 2007
Bucks Count PA
I know I should know better but I figured I would ask. Last season I had a friend that was battling algae and his local pool store told him to add the Proteam version of the Borax. After adding about half of what was needed for his pool size I told him to add the 20 mule team borax. He went and asked his local pool guy and he didn't know what to say at first but said he would talk to someone that had more knowledge about chemistry. Well the pool store comes back with you should never put that stuff in your pool is has arsenic in it and the level of arsenic will build up overtime as you continue to add it.

Is there any truth to this? I don't remember reading anything like this on the site.

Sodium borate and boric acid interfere with sperm production, damage the testes and interfere with male fertility when given to animals by mouth at high doses. Boric acid produces developmental effects, including reduced body weight, malformations and death, in the offspring of pregnant animals given boric acid by mouth...

Might not want to drink it however.

Oh my. :shock: If arsenic was in "Borax" I'm sure we would have, by now, seen reports of household cleaning persons getting arsenic poisoning. It doesn't take much arsenic to do damage. I use a lot of Borax, for cleaning and "clothes" washing around here especially doggie stuff and bedding. Last year my Mastiff puppy ate some "fake pears" that fell to the ground from our Aristocrat Pear. He became very ill within a day from arsenic poisoning. It took him a month to recover, taking "supportive" therapy meds from Vet.

It seems to me that the pool store was using, yet another, scare tactic so you will purchase their products. :rant:

I rarely use much borax in my pool because the dogs use it as a big water bucket and drink water while they are swimming. It can be toxic when taken orally.

gg=alice

According to the Borax Corporation's FAQ page, they are willing to answer any question that one may have...

Code:
Q: Is borax or boric acid safe for home uses, including crafts, eye treatments, water treatments, pest control, personal care products? What should I know about diverting wash water to my garden?
A. Please email us at [b]productsafety AT borax.com[/b]  with your specific application and information needs.

I've slightly obfuscated the email address (AT) to avoid adding to any spam harvester's fodder.

There are very few sources of borates in the world. It is extremely likely that Borax and ProTeam Supreme are both getting their supplies from the same source. Whatever impurities are in one are going to be in the other. At the same time the pool store has every reason to lie about it, since they stand to lose a substantial sale.

frustratedpoolmom said:
Here is another thread that talked about the safety of borates in pool water:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/borates-and-children-saftey-t13695.html
There is also the Are Borates Safe to Use? thread.

The pool store appears to be lying about the arsenic. Let us know what happens when you confront the pool store person with the truth.

There is a subtle difference between 20 Mule Team Borax, which is sodium tetraborate decahydrate, vs. Proteam Supreme, which is sodium tetraborate pentahydrate. There is more water in the 20 Mule Team Borax (water bound to the tetraborate, so is overall in solid form). This just means you need to use more 20 Mule Team Borax by weight, that's all.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
sunnydays said:
..."homeowners that don't know better than the pool store." ...
That is so funny! What a great remark!

Most of the people who work in pool stores near me don't have the slightest clue about swimming pool equipment, maintenance or water chemistry - they're usually high schoolers or college kids working part time, and customers get in the way of their facebook time. Sometimes you find a knowledgable one, but not often.

Wish your friend luck.

Next time he calls for help with his pool I will send him to the pool store. Last summer he was blowing up my phone with his algae problems. The reason why he called me was because he knows my pool is always spotless and have very little problems with it. Well the reason why is because I follow the advice from this site.

sunnydays said:
Next time he calls for help with his pool I will send him to the pool store. Last summer he was blowing up my phone with his algae problems. The reason why he called me was because he knows my pool is always spotless and have very little problems with it. Well the reason why is because I follow the advice from this site.
:lol: :lol: He'll be getting back with you! Everyone wants a spotless no-problem pool!

Instead of sending him to the pool store, also offer him a chance to visit TFP and do some reading and learning!

We'll all be glad to help him, too!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.