Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Any Truth to this?

1. Back To Top    #1

Any Truth to this?

I know I should know better but I figured I would ask. Last season I had a friend that was battling algae and his local pool store told him to add the Proteam version of the Borax. After adding about half of what was needed for his pool size I told him to add the 20 mule team borax. He went and asked his local pool guy and he didn't know what to say at first but said he would talk to someone that had more knowledge about chemistry. Well the pool store comes back with you should never put that stuff in your pool is has arsenic in it and the level of arsenic will build up overtime as you continue to add it.

Is there any truth to this? I don't remember reading anything like this on the site.
    Inground Grecian 20,000 gallons vinyl liner
    Hayward 250 BTU Propane heater
    Hayward DE Filter
    1 HP Northstar Pump
    Spill Over Spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Any Truth to this?

I don't see arsenic listed...

http://www.tompkins-co.org/msds/c97a.pdf

Edited by Moderator. Please don't copy large blocks of text, instead link to the original material. Thank you.
    10,000 gallon
    Viking Freeform Fiberglass Inground Pool. FNS Plus DE Filter Pentair Challenger .75hp pump

NC KANSAS44

3. Back To Top    #3

Sodium borate and boric acid interfere with sperm production, damage the testes and interfere with male fertility when given to animals by mouth at high doses. Boric acid produces developmental effects, including reduced body weight, malformations and death, in the offspring of pregnant animals given boric acid by mouth...
    Might not want to drink it however.
    10,000 gallon
    Viking Freeform Fiberglass Inground Pool. FNS Plus DE Filter Pentair Challenger .75hp pump

NC KANSAS44

4. Back To Top    #4

Oh my. If arsenic was in "Borax" I'm sure we would have, by now, seen reports of household cleaning persons getting arsenic poisoning. It doesn't take much arsenic to do damage. I use a lot of Borax, for cleaning and "clothes" washing around here especially doggie stuff and bedding. Last year my Mastiff puppy ate some "fake pears" that fell to the ground from our Aristocrat Pear. He became very ill within a day from arsenic poisoning. It took him a month to recover, taking "supportive" therapy meds from Vet.

It seems to me that the pool store was using, yet another, scare tactic so you will purchase their products.

I rarely use much borax in my pool because the dogs use it as a big water bucket and drink water while they are swimming. It can be toxic when taken orally.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

5. Back To Top    #5

I really thought the it was a scar tactic as well. It will be interesting to see if any others chime.
    Hayward DE Filter
    1 HP Northstar Pump
    Spill Over Spa

6. Back To Top    #6

According to the Borax Corporation's FAQ page, they are willing to answer any question that one may have...

Code:
    Q: Is borax or boric acid safe for home uses, including crafts, eye treatments, water treatments, pest control, personal care products? What should I know about diverting wash water to my garden?
    A. Please email us at productsafety AT borax.com  with your specific application and information needs.
    I've slightly obfuscated the email address (AT) to avoid adding to any spam harvester's fodder.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

7. Back To Top    #7

Here is another thread that talked about the safety of borates in pool water:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/borat...ey-t13695.html
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

There are very few sources of borates in the world. It is extremely likely that Borax and ProTeam Supreme are both getting their supplies from the same source. Whatever impurities are in one are going to be in the other. At the same time the pool store has every reason to lie about it, since they stand to lose a substantial sale.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Here is another thread that talked about the safety of borates in pool water:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/borat...ey-t13695.html
    There is also the Are Borates Safe to Use? thread.

The pool store appears to be lying about the arsenic. Let us know what happens when you confront the pool store person with the truth.

There is a subtle difference between 20 Mule Team Borax, which is sodium tetraborate decahydrate, vs. Proteam Supreme, which is sodium tetraborate pentahydrate. There is more water in the 20 Mule Team Borax (water bound to the tetraborate, so is overall in solid form). This just means you need to use more 20 Mule Team Borax by weight, that's all.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

10. Back To Top    #10

Well it looks like my friend doesn't mind being pool stored as he referred to all of you as "homeowners that don't know better than the pool store." I will continue to use the product and make sure the kids don't drink the pool water.
    Hayward DE Filter
    1 HP Northstar Pump
    Spill Over Spa

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by sunnydays
    "homeowners that don't know better than the pool store."
    You can lead a horse to water, but..........
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

12. Back To Top    #12

..."homeowners that don't know better than the pool store." ...
    That is so funny! What a great remark!

Most of the people who work in pool stores near me don't have the slightest clue about swimming pool equipment, maintenance or water chemistry - they're usually high schoolers or college kids working part time, and customers get in the way of their facebook time. Sometimes you find a knowledgable one, but not often.

Wish your friend luck.
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

13. Back To Top    #13

Next time he calls for help with his pool I will send him to the pool store. Last summer he was blowing up my phone with his algae problems. The reason why he called me was because he knows my pool is always spotless and have very little problems with it. Well the reason why is because I follow the advice from this site.
    Hayward DE Filter
    1 HP Northstar Pump
    Spill Over Spa

14. Back To Top    #14

Next time he calls for help with his pool I will send him to the pool store. Last summer he was blowing up my phone with his algae problems. The reason why he called me was because he knows my pool is always spotless and have very little problems with it. Well the reason why is because I follow the advice from this site.
    He'll be getting back with you! Everyone wants a spotless no-problem pool!

Instead of sending him to the pool store, also offer him a chance to visit TFP and do some reading and learning!

We'll all be glad to help him, too!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

I have given him the website several times including the other day for him to read the threads on the saftey of borax.
    Hayward DE Filter
    1 HP Northstar Pump
    Spill Over Spa