Leak at output of Whisperflo pump

shane

Mar 16, 2010
Greetings.

Have a Purex Whisperflo pump (installed Sept 2001) with a 2.5 hp uprated original motor. My motor has died, and the replacement is on the way (new B2984 two speed motor along with all new pump seals and gaskets). I can handle the motor change with no issues.

I do have a very slow leak coming from the output of the pump - above and just behind the pump basket. It appears that the installers used teflon tape on the threads as expected, and then put some sort of sealant around the connection as well. This sealant has started to dry and flake away and is now leaking.

I'd like to take care of this problem while I'm working on the motor replacement. Can anyone give me an idea of what sealant would be appropriate to use on this connection? I am VERY hesitant to cut away the plumbing and re-plumb as my installer used the bare minimum of PVC getting from the pump to the plumbing manifold.

Thanks!

One more quick question that I should have asked in my first post: Is there any special solvent or cleaner I should use to remove the old pipe dope completely before reapplying?

Thanks guys!

Your leak at the threaded connection may be from the pump running dry. Maybe the same reason your motor died. You may have run it dry just long enough to burn the seal. Burned enough to leak water onto the motor shaft, but not enough to leak onto the ground and alert you to the seal.
I use Teflon tape + plus sealer on 2" threads all the time and don't have problems. If the pump ran fine, with no leaks for a period of time before this happened, It probably wasn't the way that it was sealed that caused the leak. The trick with Teflon tape is to use enough, but not too much.

Just a thought...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.