SALT LEVEL

trisha

Mar 11, 2010
I took my water to get tested today and they told me that my salt levels were too high (4700) and I need to partially drain the pool, but my system is telling me that the salt level is 1400 (too low, add salt). Why would this be. Should I trust the people that tested it or my system, and is there a possibility my systems readings are wrong. If I need to partially drain the pool, how would I go about doing that?

Yes, there is a possibility that one or both readings are wrong. I would suggest you purchase some Aquacheck Salt Test strips to verify the readings yourself.

As for the SWG can your provide more info on the unit itself so folks can help you trouble shoot. Also did they give you a full set of test results? Can you post those too....

What kind of filter do you have?

Salt readings from the SWG tend to be temperature dependent. I would not trust the readout on the SWG until the water temperature warms up to 60 degrees or higher. Pool store salt test results are somewhat random. Some pool stores give accurate results, others don't, and at yet others it depends on which employee is doing the testing. Without a confirmed track record, I would not trust pool store results very much.

The net effect is that you should wait till the water is above 60 degrees before worrying about the salt level and/or get your own salt test strips to get a more reliable measurement.

How old is your salt cell and what is the model? One of the first indicators of an old cell that is failing is that it reads low salt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.