Do I need to open my pool?

The pool turned green this weekend with visible algae growth on the bottom and sides. The answer seems to be that I need to open the pool and get chlorine in it, but is it too early? I am not sure we are past freezing weather and I am worried about damaging the pump. I have not tested the water and I am not sure if it would do any good to do so. Thoughts?

Depending on how cold it is going to be getting over the next month or so IMO I would hold off opening your pool if you suspect you might still have freezing temps. I'm assuming you remove your filter from the pool for the winter season ?

Your algae problem will be easy to clear up when the warm weather gets here so I wouldnt fret over it ...

If your pool isn't still frozen (like mine) you can always start dumping in bleach or liquid chlorine and mix it in either manually or by using a submersible pump to circulate it. It's probably not too early in the season to hook up your plumbing and run the pump and filter if you keep an eye on the temperatures and keep it on when it gets near freezing.

I'm kind of surprised to see that there's enough algae growth to turn the water green this early in the year at your location. Add chlorine and brush what you can, and run the filter.

I agree with Anna, get some bleach in there and maybe rent a submersible pump if you don't have one to help circulate it. I opened April 8 last year, and I'm pretty far North of you, that's only in a couple of weeks. I would think you could open it and if they forcast especially frigid weather running the pump during that time should help prevent stuff from freezing.

frustratedpoolmom said:
I agree with Anna, get some bleach in there and maybe rent a submersible pump if you don't have one to help circulate it. I opened April 8 last year, and I'm pretty far North of you, that's only in a couple of weeks. I would think you could open it and if they forcast especially frigid weather running the pump during that time should help prevent stuff from freezing.

Renting, of course is one option, but you can find good submersible pumps for under and just a little above $100 US. I have no idea what renting fees are. My submersible pumps have really saved me or come in really handy for other uses too. I use them mostly for the pool though.

gg=alice

Alice, I do agree with you, I actually bought one for $89 last year and wondered why I didn't do it sooner! It came in handy when I needed to drain the water off my winter cover, made the task much simpler than our old manual way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.