Next on my Honey-Do list....

May 31, 2009
Houston, TX
We struggled to keep the pool up towards the end of last summer and now it's time to deal with the problem at hand. I have posted pics and problems we were having with the pool here at TFP before, but that was so last year.

To-Do List:
- Unclog suction line - Borrowed a friends roto-rooter and went to town. I had to cut the line to shorten my roto-rooting distance. Found chunks of floor drain cover, acorns, leaves, twigs, etc. I still need to glue up the pipe, but I am confident now that the line is totally clear.
- Replace skimmer box - Becuase of the movement of the deck around the pool, the skimmer box has been crushed and cracked to the point that the water washes out the soil underneath the deck.
- Replace floor drain - Someone stepped on the cover and broke it into tiny little pieces. I cannot get a replacement cover since the company it out of business.
- Plug/cap unused jets- This pool is so old that it used this whip system to circulate the water. Instead of having eyeball jets it had 2-3' hoses screwed into the wall that would twirl around when the filter is on. I have 6 of those outlets and am only going to use 4. There are 3 other outlets for the booster pump, and they are not in the most optimal place for the polaris (all at shallow end). I am going to consolidate down to 1 and place it in just the right spot.
- Re-tile/cope - Right now we are talking about redoing the coping and water line tile. The coping is dated, but isn't much of a problem. Looking for an idea that will make what we have look good. I am considering doing the tileing myself, but will probably hire someone to do the coping if we do that.
- Replaster - We have decided to go with Quartz in French Grey.

After that, it's landscaping time...but that's a whole nuther thread.

Enjoy the pics, I'll try and update as I go.

Here Is where we started. Had to clear out the thick bamboo forest, but the pool was perfect!

pool2.jpg

pool.jpg

And here is where we are by the end of the day yesterday

DSCN1647.jpg

DSCN1648.jpg

DSCN1654.jpg

DSCN1649.jpg

DSCN1653.jpg

DSCN1650.jpg

DSCN1652.jpg

DSCN1651.jpg

That looks like some hard work that you put in there. Good job though. I can't wait to see how things look after all is finished and you have the landscaping in.

Speaking of landscaping, have you thought about putting a couple of banana trees in the corner there where the birdbath is? That would be a nice touch and banana trees seem to like it down there in the Houston area. Had some in the yard when I lived in Spring. They smell wonderful and really do put out bananas.

All old, non-VGB compliant drain covers should have been removed from any seller's inventory. There are a number of replacement options. Find the distance between the screw holes. Also check the thread size too. The new cover will be VGB compliant and as such, safer.

I suggest you pressure test the line to 20-25 PSI to ensure it's leak free. Snakes can poke holes.

I am impressed you cleared the clog.

Changing the skimmer is not a job to be taken lightly. I would not be surprised if it was encased in steel reinforced concrete. You will need an electric hammer with a chisel point if this is the case, a grinder and a crow bar. The skimmer mouth will need to be expanded, the next section of decking removed. and several hundred lbs of concrete. Then you will need replacement tile, grout, and maybe some plaster to patch the throat and under the removed tile. The whole thing is a major job but a couple determined men can do it with support.

Scott

Thanks for the responses.

The Skimmer and Drain were 2 things that we are going to leave to the pros. If we can find a cover that will work, then I will definately go that route. I took the pieces to the pool shop and they could n't find anything for what I have. As for the skimmer, I have no problems busting out a little more concrete. Just add it to the pile of rubble that I already have.

TTFN!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.