Adding auto fill to old pool?

Jul 11, 2008
Hi All,

I have an in ground pool in a house that I bought a couple years ago. I believe the pool was built around 1993.

The pool doesn't have an autofill and it's a pain to keep filled in the summer (I'm in Las Vegas). I have one of those hang over the side of the pool auto fillers that connects to a garden hose, but I find those only work for about 6 months before it starts leaking (I've replaced it several times so far).

The kool decking is shot and needs to be redone. I haven't had any concrete contractors out yet, but I was thinking if we are going to re-do the decking, now may be the time to look into adding an auto fill? I figured they could cut the concrete and possibly add whatever is needed for the auto fill and then pour a new section of concrete decking and then finally redo the kool decking?

I'm just looking to see if that could reasonably be done? I don't know what is involved with adding the auto fill, so I don't know if it is realistic to add after. One other thing, I don't have any type of overflow protection on the pool since I am on septic and obviously can't have the pool draining into the septic tank. Not sure if that rules out putting on an auto fill.

I do already have a PVC line that runs from a hose bib under the concrete decking and dumps into the pool. I can manually fill the pool that way, but basically looking to convert that to an auto fill if possible.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Depending on how your existing fill line runs you might not even need to cut into the deck. An autofill system needs a place where there is a small chamber of water at the same depth as the pool. Typically this chamber is connected to the pool with a horizontal pipe. If your existing fill line runs below the pool water level, you should be able to add the auto fill chamber outside the deck along the existing fill line.

If the existing fill line doesn't work out, things get more complex. There is quite a range of possibilities, depending on various factors. Regardless, it is possible to do what you want, but in some situations it might be a relatively large job.

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately the current fill line is about an inch above the water line.

I read up on the Letro auto fill and see how it is supposed to be installed.

Looks like I would need to cut through the concrete decking and hammer drill through the pebble tech and gunite shell to install the equalizer line. Does that create a concern for creating a leak in the shell?

Any advice about who I might call to do something like this? Are there pool specific plumbers?

Thanks!

I was at the Western Pool and Spa Show and a couple of vendors now have a wireless solution. You put a sensor in the skimmer, and when the water goes low it sends a signal to the base which is located up-to 100' away - generally connected to where the manual fill line is. Pretty cool widget. There were two vendors at the show, and I saw a 3rd vendor with a similar device at the pool supply place I use (www.konalabs.com).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.