Question about Pollen

skydiva44

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2009
Houston, Texas
Hi TFP experts,

I am trying to get my pool ready for the summer and spring is here with a LARGE amount of Pollen, I did a search to see how to treat this and it seems as though I am to vacuum as many times a day as possible and I got a skimmer sock to use also. Should I even worry about the tests and balances until I get this cleared up. It's seems like it is going to take a long time to get all the pollen out with running the filter 24/7...if you have any other advice please share....

There is no getting all of the pollen out of the pool during pollen season. New pollen settles more quickly than you can get rid of the old pollen. There probably isn't any point in trying to get it all,

Maintaining your water balance is more important than getting all the pollen out. A little pollen here or there, or even a fairly large amount, is not a problem (unless you have allergies).

Thanks Jason...it looks like a pond instead of a pool! lol I will do an overnight test tonight, but I really don't think it is algae, there is a yellow powder film all around the ring and floating in/on the water. I'll get busy with all the testing! Let the fun begin! :party:

Also, I did not have my pool at this time last year during pollen season, so I am assuming if I keep my balances correct, when pollen stops it will clear up?

Yep. Yellow powder. That's as perfect a description for pollen as I've ever seen. Do get the skimmer socks, they make a huge difference in catching this stuff and keeping much of it out of the filter. I run my filter on its normal schedule during pollen season and do the water testing daily as I always do. Can't say I've ever had pollen affect the chemical balance. It just really does gunk up the skimmer. The socks help a lot.

Ok...did an overnight test and I am losing FC, so I am shocking. My question is my cya is 70, according to the pool calculator I need to
drain 43% of water, but on the cya chart explanation for a SWG pool it is ok to be 70 if I am understanding it right. So my question is drain or no drain....here are my numbers:

PH - 7.2
TA -90
CYA - 70
FAS-DPD - 17.5 right now due to shocking

skydiva44 said:
Ok...did an overnight test and I am losing FC, so I am shocking. My question is my cya is 70, according to the pool calculator I need to
drain 43% of water, but on the cya chart explanation for a SWG pool it is ok to be 70 if I am understanding it right. So my question is drain or no drain....here are my numbers:

PH - 7.2
TA -90
CYA - 70
FAS-DPD - 17.5 right now due to shocking
You do not want to drain. CYA of 70 is just great for your SWG. You understood correctly.

Continue shocking using liquid chlorine/bleach until you are done. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.