Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about Pollen

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about Pollen

Hi TFP experts,

I am trying to get my pool ready for the summer and spring is here with a LARGE amount of Pollen, I did a search to see how to treat this and it seems as though I am to vacuum as many times a day as possible and I got a skimmer sock to use also. Should I even worry about the tests and balances until I get this cleared up. It's seems like it is going to take a long time to get all the pollen out with running the filter 24/7...if you have any other advice please share....
    ABG Easy Set 18 x 48
    5455 gallons
    SWG
    Intex Pump 4000 GPM - Size B cartridge

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about Pollen

There is no getting all of the pollen out of the pool during pollen season. New pollen settles more quickly than you can get rid of the old pollen. There probably isn't any point in trying to get it all,

Maintaining your water balance is more important than getting all the pollen out. A little pollen here or there, or even a fairly large amount, is not a problem (unless you have allergies).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason...it looks like a pond instead of a pool! lol I will do an overnight test tonight, but I really don't think it is algae, there is a yellow powder film all around the ring and floating in/on the water. I'll get busy with all the testing! Let the fun begin!

Also, I did not have my pool at this time last year during pollen season, so I am assuming if I keep my balances correct, when pollen stops it will clear up?
    ABG Easy Set 18 x 48
    5455 gallons
    SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Yep. Yellow powder. That's as perfect a description for pollen as I've ever seen. Do get the skimmer socks, they make a huge difference in catching this stuff and keeping much of it out of the filter. I run my filter on its normal schedule during pollen season and do the water testing daily as I always do. Can't say I've ever had pollen affect the chemical balance. It just really does gunk up the skimmer. The socks help a lot.
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

5. Back To Top    #5

I sure don't miss those Houston area springs with all the pine pollen. Seems like everyone had a lime green car for about a month!
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok...did an overnight test and I am losing FC, so I am shocking. My question is my cya is 70, according to the pool calculator I need to
    drain 43% of water, but on the cya chart explanation for a SWG pool it is ok to be 70 if I am understanding it right. So my question is drain or no drain....here are my numbers:

PH - 7.2
    TA -90
    CYA - 70
    FAS-DPD - 17.5 right now due to shocking
    ABG Easy Set 18 x 48
    5455 gallons
    SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    I sure don't miss those Houston area springs with all the pine pollen. Seems like everyone had a lime green car for about a month!
    Out here, in Cedar Hill, EVERYTHING goes yellow. It hasn't started en mass yet. My dark blue car was still dark blue this morning and I can breath through my nose.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by skydiva44
    Ok...did an overnight test and I am losing FC, so I am shocking. My question is my cya is 70, according to the pool calculator I need to
    drain 43% of water, but on the cya chart explanation for a SWG pool it is ok to be 70 if I am understanding it right. So my question is drain or no drain....here are my numbers:

PH - 7.2
    TA -90
    CYA - 70
    FAS-DPD - 17.5 right now due to shocking
    You do not want to drain. CYA of 70 is just great for your SWG. You understood correctly.

Continue shocking using liquid chlorine/bleach until you are done.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks Butterfly....that's what I'm doing...glad I don't have to drain~
    ABG Easy Set 18 x 48
    5455 gallons
    SWG