SWG compatible with DE filter?

I would triple yup but that's too much of a good thing! :)

Yes a DE filter works great with a SWG. In fact all the standard filters, whether they're DE, Sand or cartridge are designed to work with whatever method of sanitation you choose. As far as I know (I know I was supposed to type AFAIK) there are no exclusions for using a certain type of filter with a certain type of chlorination.

I assume since you list a DE filter already that you're looking at getting a SWCG. If that's the case it'd be worth your time to read the SWG section in Pool School if you haven't already.

While the SWG is compatible with the DE grids it may not be with your filter case if it's stainless steel. I had a Nautilus 48 SS filter case and it started developing pin hole leaks as the salt degraded the casing. I had to upgrade to a new plastic/fiberglass filter case.

Most installation places here in Houston wouldn't even install a SWG with a SS filter case as well. I had to install it myself and I called Nautilus and they thought I should be ok but it corroded. Just a heads up.

Salt can sometimes cause problems for stainless steel filters, especially if they are rather old. Problems are rare, but they were frequent enough that all of manufacturers switched to plastic housings.

Great! After installing my SWG and finally getting the water balanced (salt, cya, ph, etc.), I am reading about these pitfalls. My DE filter has a SS case. I certainly don't want that getting corroded! In addition, I have read about some environmental issues to the point that some jurisdictions don't allow saltwater pools. I am invested now and it is too late. I hope I don't regret this decision. Now, I think I should have stayed with the old fashion way or added a liquidator instead.

As JL said, is your filter old? If it is, you "might" have problems eventually.

Not sure what the environmental concerns are, the salt level is well below (1/10) the ocean levels. I think there are more environmental concerns regarding DE filters and backwashing the DE material than the salt.

Works great as far as I can tell!
We have Quad DE filter and SWG. Crystal clear water with little to add but salt and PH minus.
We don't back wash filter because we lose too much water in drought-stricken Texas.
Twice a season we clean off the dog hair from filters and replace the DE.
Our housing is plastic...not SS.
No issues with "salt" problems - on concrete around pool or buffalo grass around yard or plants.
Water feels great without heavy chlorine feeling and smell.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
On the label on my Pentair FNS Plus 48 sq ft D.E. filter it says for "fresh water only".Fiberglass reinforced plastic case,salt water pool.I didn't even notice the label until after it was installed and no one ever mentioned it to me.Our 1st pool,16x32,vinyl,solar,a month old and we're having a ball!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.