Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG compatible with DE filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG compatible with DE filter?

Stupid question:

Is a SWG system compatible with a DE filter?

Thanks
    Fiona
    11,000 gallon chlorine pool:: 48 sq ft DE filter :: IG plaster :: 1 hp Whispaflo pump :: Gas heater and Solar Panel heating

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG compatible with DE filter?

Yup!

3. Back To Top    #3

Duble Yup!
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

4. Back To Top    #4

I would triple yup but that's too much of a good thing!

Yes a DE filter works great with a SWG. In fact all the standard filters, whether they're DE, Sand or cartridge are designed to work with whatever method of sanitation you choose. As far as I know (I know I was supposed to type AFAIK) there are no exclusions for using a certain type of filter with a certain type of chlorination.

I assume since you list a DE filter already that you're looking at getting a SWCG. If that's the case it'd be worth your time to read the SWG section in Pool School if you haven't already.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

While the SWG is compatible with the DE grids it may not be with your filter case if it's stainless steel. I had a Nautilus 48 SS filter case and it started developing pin hole leaks as the salt degraded the casing. I had to upgrade to a new plastic/fiberglass filter case.

Most installation places here in Houston wouldn't even install a SWG with a SS filter case as well. I had to install it myself and I called Nautilus and they thought I should be ok but it corroded. Just a heads up.
    36,000 gallon IG Gunite (40 x 20), 1.5 HP Hayward pump, Pentair Nautilus NS-48 DE filter, 2 skimmers, 12 - (2 x 20) Fafco Solar Panels (Goldline controller not hooked up yet), Hayward Swimpure Plus SWG, Blue Pearl Robot cleaner. New Dr. Wellness X-12 standalone Lifestyle Spa.

6. Back To Top    #6

Salt can sometimes cause problems for stainless steel filters, especially if they are rather old. Problems are rare, but they were frequent enough that all of manufacturers switched to plastic housings.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Great! After installing my SWG and finally getting the water balanced (salt, cya, ph, etc.), I am reading about these pitfalls. My DE filter has a SS case. I certainly don't want that getting corroded! In addition, I have read about some environmental issues to the point that some jurisdictions don't allow saltwater pools. I am invested now and it is too late. I hope I don't regret this decision. Now, I think I should have stayed with the old fashion way or added a liquidator instead.
    35K gallon plaster IGP, free form, spa with spill-over; Sta-Rite 2HP pump; KDI American 48sq.ft., 144GPM DE filter; Pentair MiniMax heater; pressure side The PoolCleaner; Circupool RJ45

8. Back To Top    #8

Should I be concerned about this?
    35K gallon plaster IGP, free form, spa with spill-over; Sta-Rite 2HP pump; KDI American 48sq.ft., 144GPM DE filter; Pentair MiniMax heater; pressure side The PoolCleaner; Circupool RJ45

9. Back To Top    #9

As JL said, is your filter old? If it is, you "might" have problems eventually.

Not sure what the environmental concerns are, the salt level is well below (1/10) the ocean levels. I think there are more environmental concerns regarding DE filters and backwashing the DE material than the salt.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Works great as far as I can tell!
    We have Quad DE filter and SWG. Crystal clear water with little to add but salt and PH minus.
    We don't back wash filter because we lose too much water in drought-stricken Texas.
    Twice a season we clean off the dog hair from filters and replace the DE.
    Our housing is plastic...not SS.
    No issues with "salt" problems - on concrete around pool or buffalo grass around yard or plants.
    Water feels great without heavy chlorine feeling and smell.
    Regards,
    Martha in Texas
    17K gl-15'X34' IG, Fiberglass, Pentair: Intelliflo VS 3HP pump, PAL 2000 underwater lights, DE60 filter, Intellichlor IC 20SWG, Poolvergnuegen Suction Pool Cleaner2009 build date; TC100