Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: With high TA should I add borates

1. Back To Top    #1

With high TA should I add borates

curious to know. Lowering my TA should be a ***** as my tap h20 is really high and with the heat evaporation I know im going to be adding water on a regular basis. I am balanced as long as i watch my PH. Can I still add borates without adjusting my TA?
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: With high TA should I add borates

Once you have borates in the pool it becomes especially difficult to lower the TA.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Once you have borates in the pool it becomes especially difficult to lower the TA.
    It's more difficult because it takes more acid to get the pH down to 7.0 and the same length of time for aeration results in a smaller pH rise so it will seem as if progress is slower (it's not, but it seems that way). You still end up lowering TA as quickly as before, but the process isn't as obvious when you don't see the pH rise as quickly.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a balanced CSI even with a high TA. The high TA occurs naturally with the well water that our city used. Would it be a bad idea to not lower the TA before I add borates. I just know that lowering the TA is going to be a battle and was curious if I cant just leave it the way it is as my CSI is balanced or should I give it the boy scout try.
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.

5. Back To Top    #5

There is nothing wrong with maintaing fairly high TA levels as long as your PH does not drift up too quickly and your CSI level is under control.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School