Non-Slip Steps

I should be plastering my gunite pool in the next couple of weeks ... plain white plaster ... what should I do to make sure my steps are not slippery ??
Hi Jack,

I'll preface this by saying I'm not an expert regarding which plaster additives might provide a less-slippery surface. A fortified polymer was added to the marcite used to plaster my pool. The builder sold it as Silicone Shield. For both safety and aesthetic reasons I elected to reduce the amount of tile on the steps--to a single line of 2x2s a couple of inches back on the tread from the riser. The plaster is almost 3 years old and has a slightly rough feel to it (always has) -- stumbling is possible, but not slipping. You might want to talk to your plaster contractor and see if he/she has recommendations. Something like added sand or finely ground rock incorporated into the plaster at points of entry into the pool might be effective.

I've seen pools with 3 inch square non-skid plastic pads set in the plaster but I can't testify as to their effectiveness in preventing falls. (I do know that the non-skid pads I've encountered on poured concrete sidewalks get slippery when it rains!)

After the initial plastering, avoid algae formation by maintaining CYA/Chlorine levels... but I bet you've heard this advice before today! :)

Greg

I can't recall where any gunite pools that I have seen have had any special surfacing done on the steps to make them slip resistant. The steps in my pool aren't slippery at all and there is nothing that has been done to make them different from the walls or the floor.

The gunite itself is not tacky, but it isn't really smooth like a glass surface. It's sort of like a fine grit sandpaper. I wouldn't say that it's conducive to slipping.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.