choosing a solar blanket

Jun 5, 2009
Our last solar blanket was shedding blue dots so we tossed it. No matter how careful we are with the white cover-cover while its on the reel, they never seem to last more than 2 yrs.

Please help me decided what weight and to choose and between blue and clear.

Thanks - Heather

I think the darker the cover, the more UV protection you have during the day when the pool is not being used.

I think the thicker covers do a slightly better heat retention job, and might last perhaps 1 year longer than the thinner type. (I've had both cheap lasting 2 seasons, expensive lasting 4) I know have a cheap dark blue cover and it's by far my favorite. The thick ones are too heavy for me but this one when it's on, I experience almost no FC loss.

Some people report the clear heats the water better but I'll admit I'm skeptical - I think the solar covers work best at retaining heat gained during the day by keeping them on at night and then in that case the darker would be the better bet cuz you protect your FC during the day. Anyway, just my .02

Solvangswimmers said:
Our last solar blanket was shedding blue dots so we tossed it. No matter how careful we are with the white cover-cover while its on the reel, they never seem to last more than 2 yrs.

Please help me decided what weight and to choose and between blue and clear.
Your experience with your solar cover is not unusual. I use a solar cover much of the time in summer and I know the very act of placing it on the water and removing it (no reel) shortens its life span. But it does seem that a cover that is slightly thicker than the cheapest ones (say, 11/12 mil instead of 6/8 mil) is preferred by most. It will last longer if it's unreeled slowly and evenly, placed bubble-side down and cleaned off with a hose once a week or so before rolling it back on to the reel. Sunlight is detrimental so continue the practice of covering it when it's on the reel. I don't know to what extent organic debris (e.g. leaves) or chemicals in the pool affect the cover's integrity but I remove it from the pool when shocking and periodically wash the cover with a garden hose.

There are many discussions about solar covers on this board. Use the Google Search box in the lower left corner of the page, enter "solar cover thickness" (without the quotes).

Blue or clear? Read FPM's post, above. I've used blue and will be switching to clear this summer; so I don't know yet what effect the clear cover will have on water temperature.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.