Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Broken pump after set up

1. Back To Top    #1

Broken pump after set up

Hello my friends,

Well... We were able to fix the soft spots in the clay (another post) and started putting the pool up last weekend ! We ran into another problem...imagine that! LOL So we put the liner in and that went smooth and looks good (pics to come). We started filling while I unpacked the filter and pump. Problem is I found a big crack in the pump housing at the end of the pump where the outlet goes to the filter. It looks like maybe a casting problem. I know it could be fixed temporally but its brand new and it would void the warranty.

I call the pool company and explained the problem and they told me to send it back and they would replace it. I did but its gonna take a week to get the new one here and the pool is filled just below the return. So my question is... What should I do in the mean time with the water in the pool. Its still pretty cool here. I have not had a chance to check the water temp but our outside temps are running 45 in the mornings and 60 in the afternoon. We are on city water and have high chlorine in our water normally. Should I add something to the water temporally just in case? I can "grin and bare it" lol, and get in the water and stir it up if needed. Thanks for any advice!

Tim
    Delair 27', 52" round AGP. 19,300gal
    Waterway 22"/1.5hp pump, 2 speed/sand filter, BBB
    My BBB motto.."LESS IS MORE WITHOUT ALL THE CHORES, SO FOLLOW TFP AND IN THE END, THE POOL OWNER SCORES"!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Broken pump after set up

Since you have no pump to circulate water, you can probably get by with adding a little bleach every day and mix it as best you can by brushing. Since it is a new fill, your CYA would be zero. That means that the FC won't hold very long in the direct sun

You should be okay if it is only a week since the temperatures are still fairly low.

Does anybody else know of anything to try?
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

Sounds like a good plan to me, especially since the water temps are still low enough to help inhibit algae growth.

If he's got a boat oar sitting around gathering dust, he could use that to help circulate the water after adding a bit of bleach, but if not, then using the brush should be OK.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

4. Back To Top    #4

If it warms up - you could try and rent a sumbersible pump-use that to circulate?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks everyone!!

Its crawfish season here and we cook a lot of them. We use a paddle to stir the pot, that should work just fine! LOL Just Kidding. I do have a submersible pump so I will do that. If that doesn't work then I will use the crawfish paddle or better yet put the crawfish in the pool and let them swim around. Anyway, we really do appreciate the advice. Now we just wait on the pump. Oh can I go ahead and cut the liner and mount the skimmer and return etc...? Thanks

Tim
    Delair 27', 52" round AGP. 19,300gal
    Waterway 22"/1.5hp pump, 2 speed/sand filter, BBB
    My BBB motto.."LESS IS MORE WITHOUT ALL THE CHORES, SO FOLLOW TFP AND IN THE END, THE POOL OWNER SCORES"!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Tim23
    Thanks everyone!!

Its crawfish season here and we cook a lot of them. We use a paddle to stir the pot, that should work just fine! LOL Just Kidding. I do have a submersible pump so I will do that. If that doesn't work then I will use the crawfish paddle or better yet put the crawfish in the pool and let them swim around. Anyway, we really do appreciate the advice. Now we just wait on the pump. Oh can I go ahead and cut the liner and mount the skimmer and return etc...? Thanks

Tim
    I've been using two submersible pumps, in my pool since late December. One does a great job, two even better. I've just recently put SlimeBags on the returning water and they are doing a great job of clearing the water too. Of course nothing will do the job your pump and filter will do but they have kept my pool from becoming a stagnant green brown mess. Just had new pump and filter installed yesterday. The water needs loads of filtering but it is a beautiful cloudy blue with no hint of green due to the constant circulation of pool chems (and running the Aquabot to keep all debris cleaned up and filtering a good deal of water too).

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Tim23
    Thanks everyone!!

Tim
    I don't see any reason not to. You've already got a fair amount of water in the pool, so I'd go ahead and get the skimmer and return installed.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"