Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Grind Concrete?

1. Back To Top    #1

Grind Concrete?

We are mid construction, and would like to use a mosaic tile rather than a "cap tile" to outline our steps and seats... the poured concrete has a rather sharp edge... will the Pebble Tec installer be able to put an adequate radius on the edges? If not, can the edges be ground a touch to soften them??? Tile starting next week!
    35k / Hayward Swim Clear C4025 Cartridge Filter / Aqua Rite SWG / In ground / Pebble Tec

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Grind Concrete?

Concrete can be ground. However typically the PebbleTec finish is about 1/2" thick (it is on my pool). So grinding will not be necessary.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

3. Back To Top    #3

Grind the edge. It sounds like you have a ninety degree angle , and that is not real conducive to plaster (Pebble) over. They should have radius-ed these areas, and I would definitely take the time to have it done before installation of the Pebble.

It will be about a half inch thick, but you really want to start with a proper base as opposed to having the Pebble try and accommodate poor base conditions. The pebbles will "spread" on the outer radius-ed edges and "compact" on the inner radius' anyway, so a nice, smooth edge to start with gives you the best chance for a good end result.

4. Back To Top    #4

Newly poured concrete's outer layer is very easy to grind. You can do it with a regular grinder with a diamond disc.
    Actually the outer film that you get when you pour against a board should be removed to improve bonding to whatever material you plan to mount.
    Inground concrete pool 14600 gallons,Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP WFE-3, Hayward swimclear 420sq ft
    Zodiac LM3-24 SWG, Dolphin Diagnostic poolrobot, Heatpump Gullberg&Jansson 13,8KW, TF testkit.

Seen a shooting star tonight And I thought of you You were trying to break into another world A world I never knew
    I always kind of wondered If you ever made it through Seen a shooting star tonight And I thought of you

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Fandango
    We are mid construction, and would like to use a mosaic tile rather than a "cap tile" to outline our steps and seats... the poured concrete has a rather sharp edge... will the Pebble Tec installer be able to put an adequate radius on the edges? If not, can the edges be ground a touch to soften them??? Tile starting next week!
    I never tiled a pool or installed pebbletec, but I have tiled a couple showers, and I can tell you this: tile is just like paint. It doesn't hide anything, it just changes the color. If the surface underneath isn't flat, you won't have flat tiles. If you want it curved, do it before you start mixing mortar.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!