New ColorQ results from the new(er) pool...

sredish

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2007
North of Dallas
Been working on bringing the CH up and CYA. Little bit back, couldn't get it to maintain chlorine but now it's much much better Here are the results from the AquaChek yellow strrip and the ColorQ

Test strip:
FC - 10
PH - 8
ALK - 120
CYA - ~80 (hard to read)

ColorQ:
FC - Hi (doesn't read over 10)
PH - 7.7
ALK - 126
CH - 138
CYA - 26 (not trusting this one)

Before, it was all I could do to keep the FC at 1 with the swg at 100%. I worked for a week on the CYA then hit it with some cal-hypo to bring the FC up and it's been a high FC reading ever since (approx. a week with the swg at 85%) and the CYA on the strip sounds promising and it wasn't reading anything 2 weeks ago. Tonight, I added a half-gallon of Mur. Acid and turned the swg down to 65% to let it ease off some. I have to pick up some more CH+ tomorrow to bring it on up to the 240 range.

sredish said:
Been working on bringing the CH up and CYA. Little bit back, couldn't get it to maintain chlorine but now it's much much better Here are the results from the AquaChek yellow strrip and the ColorQ

Test strip:
FC - 10
PH - 8
ALK - 120
CYA - ~80 (hard to read)

ColorQ:
FC - Hi (doesn't read over 10)
PH - 7.7
ALK - 126
CH - 138
CYA - 26 (not trusting this one)

Before, it was all I could do to keep the FC at 1 with the swg at 100%. I worked for a week on the CYA then hit it with some cal-hypo to bring the FC up and it's been a high FC reading ever since (approx. a week with the swg at 85%) and the CYA on the strip sounds promising and it wasn't reading anything 2 weeks ago. Tonight, I added a half-gallon of Mur. Acid and turned the swg down to 65% to let it ease off some. I have to pick up some more CH+ tomorrow to bring it on up to the 240 range.

The CYA reading on the colorQ is quite sensitive to outside influence such as temp, chlorine level, time since mixing and sufficient mixing of the sample. I have found better results, by crushing the pill in the test tube of water, then shaking the sample for 10sec, then waiting 5 minutes, then shaking again and measuring the CYA. Also the temp of the sample must be in the low 80 to ensure sufficient mixing. Since your chlorine is high, you may not get an accurate reading until it is down to the 5ppm range

donaldm823 said:
The CYA reading on the colorQ is quite sensitive to outside influence such as temp, chlorine level, time since mixing and sufficient mixing of the sample. I have found better results, by crushing the pill in the test tube of water, then shaking the sample for 10sec, then waiting 5 minutes, then shaking again and measuring the CYA. Also the temp of the sample must be in the low 80 to ensure sufficient mixing. Since your chlorine is high, you may not get an accurate reading until it is down to the 5ppm range

Thanks for the response. I'm working on lowering the FC now, with minor adjustments to the swg, just don't want to make any big sudden changes. I usually, mix/crush the tablet and shake good, then let sit for 2 minutes then test, but mayby I'll give it more time, and I'm sure your right with the inaccuracy due to a high chlorine level.

Anyways, thanks again for the response.

The CH test on the Color Q had some issues as well.
They sent me new regeants and I am still having issues so they are having me return my tester to get it upgraded.
They tell me their newest testers should say 1.22 when it first comes on.
Anyway,just wanted to give you the heads up, you may want to test hardness with some other test just to be sure you don't bring it up too much.

last night, i took another sample with the test strip and the CQ.

In regards to the CYA, the strip is showing close to 80 or 90 and the CQ is showing 26 again, exact same as the prev. test. Granted, my chlorine is still somewhat high, i'm slowly backing off the swg to get it to maintain what i want but i'm about to turn it off for a day and let it come down quicker.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.