Raising TA & CH in a closed pool

Grape Ape

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 12, 2009
Seattle, WA
Since I live in Seattle, I’ve replaced at least 2 feet of my pool water with rain water this winter. So I started to wonder about my CH and TA since the rain shouldn’t have much or either. They were both scary low until I ran the pump for an hour, now they are just low enough that I want to address the issue before I open the pool.

I figure the smart thing to do is: take the cover off the deep end so I can brush baking soda and calcium chloride around (separately) with the pump running.

But that seems like a lot of bother. Can I mix the baking soda into the spa water and pump that into the pool. And then rinse and repeat with calcium chloride.

Is plan B dangerous to me or my pool and spa? I have poured the baking soda into the skimmer in the past, but I’d have to add several inches of water first and then pump it back out after then next big rain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.