Bonita Springs, Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I would like to change the filter and pump for my in ground pool. The pump and filter are original since 1995 however the pump motor was replaced prior to my ownership by the previous homeowner.

Here are the stats of my current system:
19,000 total gals: 18,000 gals pool, 1000 gals spa
Spa spillover into pool
AquaLogic Controller - not original, added by me
Sta-Rite PTM100 cartridge filter, original with pool
Sta-Rite P2RA5F-125 pump that originally was supplied with a 1.5 hp motor but was replaced prior to my ownership with a 1 hp, 1.25 SF motor
Salt water generator, not original, added by me
Hayward heat pump, original
Solar panels, not original added by me, Helicoil solar panels, 11 4X12.5 panels and 6 4X10 panels, 1.5" headers and 1.5" supply and return piping to pad
All the suction and return piping to/from the pool is 1.5", except for the suction piping for the spa which is 2", the return piping at the pad from the pump, thru the filter, thru the heat pump to the first return valve actuator is 2". After the first return valve actuator, all the piping is 1.5"
The solar panels are on a 2 story house, arranged in two rows with 11 panels at gutter level and 6 panels above the 11 panels. There is 65' of piping from the panels, across the roof and down to the pad each way
There is a 3/4 hp, 1.65 sf, booster pump for solar operation only
There is no additional pump for the spa and there is no cleaner.
There is one floor drain, one skimmer, and 3 return jets for the pool
There is one floor drain, 4 return jets and one additional return line in the floor of the spa that is used for a water fountain that is controlled by a valve actuator

I would like to replace the existing cartridge filter with a new cartridge filter, replace the existing pump and eliminate the booster pump.

I did try calculating all the head, flow rates and all I'm getting is a headache and more confused.

I would like to replace what I have with the Hayward tri-star variable speed pump with the communication module to be integrated with the Aqua Logic controller.

Will this pump be compatible for my system? Is this pump a good choice? Do you have any alternatives to recommend?

Do you have recommendations for a cartridge filter? I figured since I'm going to replace the pump, then it might be a good time to upgrade/change the filter.

I live ins SW FL

Thanx for taking the time to read my post and thanx in advance for any recomendations

Rick

Yes, the TriStar Energy Solution variable speed pump will be fine. With a variable speed pump there is no need to calculate flow rates unless you think you might need more than the pump can handle on full speed, which is not an issue here.

Normally I prefer the Pentair IntelliFlo, but because you already have an AquaLogic controller it makes sense to go with the Hayward variable speed instead. You will need to make sure that your AquaLogic firmware is recent enough to know how to interface with the pump.

I suggest looking at filters around 200 sq feet (or larger). Larger than you have now is better, you won't need to clean it as often and the system will be a little more efficient with the larger filter.

The Tristar should be more than enough pump even with the solar panels. It can move more water than both of your current pumps put together. When running the solar you will need to turn the speed up higher than you want to use without solar. The AquaLogic should be able to do that automatically once it is configured properly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.