Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Liner vs Gunite

1. Back To Top    #1

New Liner vs Gunite

We have an L shaped vinyl liner pool in need of a new liner. When thinking about doing the replacement a few thoughts came to mind.

- One thought that came up was to reduce the size of the pool (we don't need all that space).
    - Then another thought was to possibly change to gunite.

With the excavation already done since the pool is already in place, what type of expense would I be looking at in NJ (I am hoping some of our NJ pool builder friends will chime in).

Are we just crazy for even considering either? I know it mostly a matter of opinion, but is one really better than the other?
    Pool Details:
    - inground vinyl liner, approx 35,000 gal; Hayward DE-6000; Pentair VS3050
    - 600sq ft Heliocol; Blue Diamond; 8 Gal Liquidator
    - TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Liner vs Gunite

You are looking at the cost of a new pool minus the excavation. Plus the cost of removing the old walls and deck.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

It would be much cheaper to rehab the vinyl. Vinyl pools are over dug then backfilled. To change to a gunite, i would think more excavation would have to be done as well.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

gunite pools are more expensive than vinyl not to mention trying to convert basically means a whole new pool. Stick with your vinyl, vinyl stays pretty longer than painted pools anyways.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

5. Back To Top    #5

We just had a new inground vinyl lined pool built, however when they installed the liner it has sooo.. many seams and all are visible. And the vinyl over the corner steps are a mess, edges lipped up, and vinyl pieced together. This pool is only 18" square and 4" deep (flat bottomed) with steps in one corner. Can we REALLY get a competent company to "build" the liner in one piece and a knowledgeable installer to "fix" this mess? Or is this not the way vinyl pools are supposed to be put together? Am I asking for the impossible? Any Suggestions?

6. Back To Top    #6

my liner pool has a allot of seams to... i can see them to!!! for some reason i thought that a liner was one piece!!!
    live in eastern washington state
    18x36, Vinyl inground 24k
    Hayward 1 hp filter pump
    1 skimmer/2 returns
    24" sand filter, polaris 280 with booster pump.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Vinyl comes on rolls that are about 6 foot wide. The vertical wall section usually only has one seam. Some patterns show seams more so than others but there has to be seams to form a liner
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

8. Back To Top    #8

The liner we just replaced didn't seem to have many seams (not sure of it's age). However, our new liner does in fact have a lot more noticeable seams than the former. Since the raw edges are white, coupled with the darker blue print, they are quite noticeable. I knew there would be seams, but didn't realize THIS many...especially down in the hopper area.
    Chris A.
    20x40 36k gal IG vinyl pool w/diving board & slide | 1.25HP Pentair Challenger motor & pump | 30" Triton TR100 sand filter | Pentair SM-20-3 multiport | Stenner 45MHP2 Peristaltic Pump & 13 gallon carboy (BBB) | Hayward CL200 Tablet Chlorinator (rarely used now) | TF-100 | 2003 Sundance 850 Altamar hot tub