Please help with equipment list

Mar 7, 2010
Hi,

I am brand new to this forum and to swimming pools.

My wife and I have been looking a builder and we think we have found one.

The builders quotation has the below equipment listed. Can someone please let me know what you think of this setup?

17 x 33 Grecian
I think I will do 6.5 deep (7 feet seems to deep and 6 feet seems to shallow) We just want to float and drink :)

Hayward Tri-Star 1HP 2 speed pump
Haward S244T Sand Filter w/ zeobrite
2 Skimmers
4 return jets
2 main Drains
Pentair never lube valves
2" pipes
Polaris 280 vacuum
100 amp Goldline Pl-Plus digital/programmable electrical panel w freeze protect
27 or 28 mm liner
500 watt light
Hayward Aquarite Chlorine Genorator w/ Nature 2 salt system

I guess this is all.

Thanks for the replys, right now I am overwhelmed with all of this info i'm trying to learn.

Thanks
Dank

That looks like a fairly good set of equipment, just skip the Nature 2 unit and you will be fine. Most people are happy with ZeoBrite, though some have problems. If you do have problems it can be changed for sand later on.

There are a couple of items I don't see listed. First is a booster pump for the Polaris 280 cleaner. The builder may have included it with the 280, but I would have it listed as a separate item because of the cost and installation required. The second is pump timers for the main and booster pumps. I don't know if timer functions are included in the electronic controls or not - if not I would include them as part of the package.

Edit: One more thing - I would have him include a good test kit.

Nature 2 adds metals to the water. Metals can help prevent algae if they are at just the right level. However, the Nature 2 unit does not allow you to control the level of metals added so the level is usually too low to do much of anything and occasionally it can get high enough to cause unsightly stains.

Thanks Guys,

I am learning more and more every time I come here.

I do belive the booster pump is included. We were thinking about not adding the vacuum to this pool because I have zero trees. I was just going to buy a electric drop in vacuum, however since then I think we have decided that we do want the Polaris.

Thoughts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
dankfoot said:
Thanks Guys,

I am learning more and more every time I come here.

I do belive the booster pump is included. We were thinking about not adding the vacuum to this pool because I have zero trees. I was just going to buy a electric drop in vacuum, however since then I think we have decided that we do want the Polaris.

Thoughts?
Airborne dust... neighbor's trees... bird poop... much of which will end up on the bottom of the pool. The Polaris 280 w/booster is highly regarded. The drop-in robots work, too, but they can be heavy and you have to lug them around more than the Polaris, which just stays in the pool until you're ready to swim.

I had the iRobot Verro 300. It moves and has suction with just one pump so it always had problems going up my walls and up the very steep hill from 10 ft deep end, especially when using the very fine sand/silt bag when the pores in the bag began to get closed up from the silt, which, in my pool, is extremely fast, a few minutes, because we have extreme, extreme, blown in and carried in fine silt, some even smaller than 1 micron. Almost no pool filters can even filter that small size out. I'm hoping my new Pentair Quad 80, with cellulose media will do even better than my old DE filter. (Finally being installed tomorrow :party: ) At any rate MOST people do not have the amounts of silt we have nor the steep incline from deep end. For most pools I think owner would be very satisfied with the Verro or other 1 pump robots. One can purchase an iRobot Vero on HSN using the Flex plan. There are three models, I think, but all are not always on HSN. BTW.... I'm pretty sure the iRobot Vero is a re-branded Aquabot.

I recently traded the Verro for an aged but well working old Aquabot. It has rubber drive treads like a tank. It was a fabulous trade for me especially as many of the common replacement parts are new. It has separate strong drive motor and big water pump that does an excellent job. It is slower moving than many of its new cousins so it doesn't stir up the fine silt very much. The water pump makes for much stronger suction than the Vero 300, too. It climbs my pool walls splendidly and it moves as well up the steep slope (and the walls) as it does in the shallow end.

Everyone is right. The robots can be very heavy. Verro 300, though, weighs less than my Aquabot. They are especially heavy when using the fine bag that has become lined with silt as it takes some time for the water to drain out of the bag.

The Vero and now the Aquabot has been a pool and wits saver for me when I can't, for what ever reason, run the main pump, which has happened several times. The robots circulate thousand of gallons of water per hour. The Aquabot and two submersible pumps pushing water through two big, recently purchased Slimebags have been the most of circulation/filtering I've have for several months and the pool is not covered. Some of my silt even goes through the 1 micron rated Slimebags. Many people here, as where you live, don't close their pools in winter. The electric cost of the robots is, also, way low compared to running pumps for the other cleaners.

I have a suction side cleaner that, also, works quite well, but not nearly as fast as the Aquabot, Verro, and the Polaris 280 with booster pump. It does the worst job, though, with leaves. Polaris is best, robot next, then suction cleaner.

All but the Polaris require time and effort to take out and put in the cleaner. Cleaning the bags on the robots are more trouble than the Polaris. Although I do have a big leaf trap canister for the fairly new suctions cleaner, I had growing concern about sending so much sand, much of which goes past the leaf canister, into the impeller of the pump. The big hoses on suction cleaners are a hassle to deal with if you are cleaning the pool daily. Maybe not so much if you do it once or twice a week. Storing the fat sectional vacuum hose can be an issue for many as they are not supposed to be stored wound.

I've had Polaris 280 pressure cleaners since they arrived on the market. It, to me is the least hassle of all and it does do the best with leaves and larger debris. It weighs a whole lot less than many of the other cleaners and the water drains out of the bags very quickly so you aren't lifting the extra weight of water. Many people find the fine mesh sand/silt bag fine enough to capture their silt but most my silt just goes right through the Polaris sand/silt bag so I have had to resort to finer bags than are available on the market, with one exception. There are disposable Polaris bags, E-Z bag but cost is a factor if you have extreme amounts of silt as they can not be washed out and reused, like some "disposable" bags for other cleaners. I go through at least one per day with normal pool use. I'm making my own "disposable" bags now for Polaris; still in experimentation phase though.

Although it is best to take any cleaner out of the pool when children or pets, or even some adults are swimming my large and GIANT dogs have no problems keeping untangled swimming with Polaris or pressure cleaner hoses are in the pool. They just swim right over them. The best swimmer, though, has become tangled in the robot cord. I'm using the robot at night after everyone is finished swimming and dogs are kept out of that yard. But I do have to remember to take the robot out in the morning when I let the dogs out.

Hope this helps some. Take a few days observing how outside surfaces become covered or not with silt, sand, mud, pollen, etc. That might help with your decision.

gg=alice

Once again thanks to everyone.

Liner = I would think a thicker liner would be a lot better? I do plan on letting my dogs swim so this was one of the biggest reasons I was going with a thicker liner?

Also, what do you guys think about the pool depth of 6.5? Like I said we really are just going to be floating around and maybe playing volley ball or whatever. I am 6"2' so I want at least to be almost submerged (I think there will actually be 6 foot of water) or should I go 6 " or 7" any opinions?

I'm also 6'2". My house came with a pool, 5.5' deep in about a 2' diameter circle where the main drain lives, and it all slopes up from there. I wish it were deeper. A reasonable-size 6' deep end means you're off the bottom if your head is above water; 6.5' means you can go completely under and still be vertical. I think I would like that.
--paulr

I have the same sentiment on the depth issue as Paul -- I'm much shorter (5'9") but regard my 6 1/2' deep end as too shallow. Not sure why I didn't insist on at least 8 feet. Even if instructed to the contrary some folks are GOING to dive into the deep end. The first time I did this I got smacked on the head!

One thing regarding depth I'm happy about: I started the shallow end at 4 ft -- not 3 or 3 1/2. Even though one of the kids was only 4 yrs at the time of build, I figured they'd be taller in no time... (this turned out to be entirely true, btw :lol: ) and it's easier swimming laps, deep end to shallow, when you don't skin your knees on the pool's bottom! Another advantage to a 4' shallow end: The incline isn't so steep that it steals real estate from the middle, so more adults (and big kids) can stand around chatting as they are want to do, beverages in hand.

polyvue said:
I have the same sentiment on the depth issue as Paul -- I'm much shorter (5'9") but regard my 6 1/2' deep end as too shallow. Not sure why I didn't insist on at least 8 feet. Even if instructed to the contrary some folks are GOING to dive into the deep end. The first time I did this I got smacked on the head!

That is my main complaint about 6 ft depth. No matter how much you try to enforce the rules someone will dive into the deep end and hit the bottom. I would advise making the "deep" end closer to the shallow end depth, play pool, or make the deep end deeper. People big and little are going to, at the very least, do some cannon balls. All but the smallest children are going to get dangerously close to hitting bottom in 6 ft of water. How about you people with 7 ft deep end. Is that deep enough? I would, personally, prefer 8 ft or greater.

polyvue said:
One thing regarding depth I'm happy about: I started the shallow end at 4 ft -- not 3 or 3 1/2. Even though one of the kids was only 4 yrs at the time of build, I figured they'd be taller in no time... (this turned out to be entirely true, btw :lol: ) and it's easier swimming laps, deep end to shallow, when you don't skin your knees on the pool's bottom! Another advantage to a 4' shallow end: The incline isn't so steep that it steals real estate from the middle, so more adults (and big kids) can stand around chatting as they are want to do, beverages in hand.

I like your words "steal real estate". My pool was built as a diving pool at 10 ft. (I took the diving board out a few months after we moved in and have been very happy without it. Our insurance company likes that too.) The shallow area is very short before the decline begins to deep end. I would have built pool a few feet longer to have more shallow end with the slope to deep beginning further into the pool and a little less steep where it begins to drop. It's only about 7-8 ft from shallow wall when the sharp drop off begins. I'm a fish but I sometimes surprise myself when I put my feet down and the bottom isn't where I think it should be. There are built in loops for a rope to go across the pool where but who uses those in a domestic pool especially when pets swim or someone swims laps.

My neighbors have frequent cookout/swim parties with >20 adults and kids of all ages. Its really scary watching the kids diving off the board, especially the preteen boys. As the night gets more lively there are fewer adults right at or in the pool reminding the older mostly boys to be careful. I would, also, prefer more lighting at their pool area. I have floods that are great at certain times.

My neighbors fairly new pool has a ledge all across deep end. Is that called a "swim out"? I really like that and it adds a safety factor for humans and animals. The sunning area at shallow end is really nice on their pool too. Their built in spa is not raised although the spa wall is very well defined and pretty wide. They have a heater but don't use the spa as spa rather use it as a kiddie pool.

Their "pebble tech" type finish is a bonus in many ways. It looks better than plaster in our rustic woods setting and the sand and silt blend in really well, when settled to bottom, so they don't have to do a rush job to clean it up when unexpected company comes over.

gg=alice

Polyvue, That is a very good point. I didn't even think about making the shallow end any deeper. I would have just lived with what the builder installed. Now that I think about it 4 foot might be better.

I'm still a little unsure about the depth (deep end). Right now I still think 6.5 (6 feet of water) will be ok. And this would make the slope pretty easy going.

So did any one else have opinions about liner thickness?

Also, thought about something else. Is the location where all of the pool equipment (Sand filter, pump, pipes) kept important? Meaning should this be level with the pool or can it be at a higher or lower elevation than the pool?

I'm not sure about the elevation issue but I will say make sure your access to it is convenient (but yet it's not an eyesore or a noise issue). I wish I had more direct access to my equipment pad, hindsight is 20/20 right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.