Newb who bought house with neglected above ground swamp

Jan 22, 2010
Alexandria, Va
Hello all,
Having read all the articles in pool school, i feel like this site/forum has already help sooo much in our decision to keep the pool if possible rather than getting rid of it. We are currenly working on the inside of the house (entire house was a mess), but the pool is next in line to be dealt with.

Pool in question is an oval above ground pool, rough estimate would be 18x10ft (Ill measure it when i get a chance). has a cover somewhat on it. looks like someone did take the time to cover it but after that it wasnt cared for. I am hoping that was the case. I also see some sort of pillow i think it was suppose to be holding the cover up so the water would drain off the cover but it didnt work out that way because the pillow looking thing is now on the side next to the pool wall. There are 2 submercible pumps next to the pool, the ladder was taken out of the pool and set aside with all the nets and hoses. There is also what looks to be a reel to put the cover on, if the cover was in good shape.

Looking at the pump, filter and pipes brings up a lot of questions. What looks like the pipe that returns water back to the pool is not connected. looks like it broke. So that will be something ill have to take care of before worrying about the water in the pool. I am pretty comfortable working with the chemicals once i get all the other issues worked out. I will be ordering a test kit and testing and posting numbers.

My ultimate plan is to start off with the BBB diet eventually getting a SWG. getting solar blanket and solar heater mounted on the roof.

1) Can anyone tell what kind of filter that is? the label on it is no longer readable.
2) How will i know if i need to replace the liner?
3) How do i test everything to make sure they are in working condition before connecting everything back up?
4) ill probably google how to connect pvc piping to fix the issues with the piping but any input there would help.
5) I live in northern VA and the weather is starting to warm up. When should i start removing the gunk from the pool and getting her started?

sorry for the huge crappy pics. these are from my phone.
Ive attached a few pictures in hopes to get some answers. these pics were taken a month or two ago.

IMAGE_049-1.jpg

IMAGE_052-1.jpg

IMAGE_051-1.jpg

IMAGE_050-1.jpg

If you upload the pics to Photobucket.com first, selecting the "large" size, then copy the "IMG" code and paste in the message here, the pics will show up better and it will be easier to navigate this thread. Then you can edit the original post removing these ginormous pics. :)

Welcome to TFP - we'll help you get things straight. :wave: Odd plumbing set up to be sure... :shock:

Well, if I had to guess I would guess a Sand filter, and a small one at that. Any idea on the age of the equipment/pool and how long it's been sitting that way?
As for the liner - with the winter cover on it's going to be virtually impossible to tell if it needs replacing - once it's off, look for obvious signs, tears, holes etc. then usually it's just a good ole "will it hold water" test...
sometimes small tears/holes can be patched.

It's not going to matter much when you begin, as you already have "issues" LOL but you do want to begin at a time when you can devote several days to a week or so of dealing with the mess - once you begin to "shock" the pool to treat the green stuff, the key to rapid success if maintaining the chlorine at shock level 24/7 until everything is dead and the water clears up. It will simply take longer if you can only add chlorine once a day after work, for example.

The reel is probably meant to hold a solar cover.

The pillow is usually in the center simply to push the water to the edge for easier removal.

Try to get as much of that gunk off before you remove the cover so it doesn't go into the water...

Consider replacing the plumbing before filling just so you have a fresh start on at least part of it.

You'll need to open up the filter to see if there is any sand in there - and what condition it's all in. Unfortunately I don't think can test the pump/filter until the pool is full and the plumbing all connected properly.

No worries, you will feel overwhelmed at times but we are here to help and we will support you through it. :goodjob:

Welcome to TFP!

1) That looks kind of like a Pentair Meteor filter, though it is impossible to tell.
2) When the liner starts cracking it needs to be replaced.
3) You can't really test the pump and filter throughly before having them hooked up. You could turn on the pump for a few seconds just to make sure it starts, but it is impossible to do a through test without a complete hookup.
4) Fixing pipe is fairly easy as long as there is at least one inch of good pipe to work with on each end.
5) You could open right now, or wait up to a month (or perhaps two, but that is pushing it). Fighting algae will be easier when the water is cold, but that isn't a big deal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.