Basic Equipment Operation question

flintstone

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
Rockville, CA
I am stilll in the early stage of learning how my equipment operates, so please bear with me. When I run my pool filter, water flows from my three descents into the pool, two via the spillover spa and one from the raised bond beam. Water also flows out tof the "pool returns." While heating the pool, this is the configuration I use. When I manually engage the valve marked spa return while in filter mode, the descent from the raised bond beam stops flowing and the "pool returns" reverse flow. I hope this is normal. My question is, under which configuration should I be operating to appropriately filter my pool? Are both appropriate?

When heating the pool you generally want any waterfalls that can be turned off to be off. A waterfall will cool the water, which will mean you need more total heat which is more expensive.

Also, I hope the returns don't actually reverse. Water should be drawn into the pump/filter/heater system through skimmers and/or floor drains. Various valves might turn off the returns, but hopefully none will cause them to actually draw water in.

Typically you would operate in one of three primary modes, filter/heat, decorative, and spa. Filter/heat mode would turn off the waterfalls (though the spa overflow might still run on low). Decorative mode would turn on all of the waterfalls. Spa mode would draw and return water only to/from the spa for fast spa heatup. Switching modes often requires turning more than one valve.

Earlier, while I was checking the flow from the pool drains and skimmer, I had inadvertently stopped the flow going into the skimmer and heard thumping noise come from the filter at which time the skimmer appeared to stop drawing water. It is functioning normally now, and I cannot replicate the reverse flow from the returns in any valve configuration. Perhaps this disruption in flow caused the reversal, but I don't know. I just won't do that again.

I can turn off the descents going into the spa while heating, but the one on the raised bond beam will not stop flowing while the returns are pumping water into the pool. That's OK. I will use this mode when heating at your suggestion. Thanks for your help in describing the three functions. I have a better perspective of function now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.