Fence Advice

Carla_IL

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 23, 2010
Well I am in the mist of getting the last bids for the other stuff for my pool. Well I had one very respected company come in at $11,600 for 483 feet of Jerith Fence with 3 gates. Well I of course had priced it myself in case I wanted to DIY, to install the same fence with a wider entrance fence and a pool Magna Latch is $8,600. What would you suggest? I am very handy and with myself and three friends I think I can knock this out.

Carla

Carla_IL said:
Well I am in the mist of getting the last bids for the other stuff for my pool. Well I had one very respected company come in at $11,600 for 483 feet of Jerith Fence with 3 gates. Well I of course had priced it myself in case I wanted to DIY, to install the same fence with a wider entrance fence and a pool Magna Latch is $8,600. What would you suggest? I am very handy and with myself and three friends I think I can knock this out.

Carla

I'm a DIY'er myself, so I say go for it. Just make sure you meet codes and have the necessary permits. :goodjob:

You can also rent an auger at your local big box hardware store and enlist the help of a couple friends for the day... Unless your house is built upon a rock, it should go fairly quickly, and most friends will be willing to help for beer and a good meal, and the promise of swimming all summer!

Have all your post holes measured and marked beforehand so all you have to do is drill the holes.

I'm sure you've thought of this, but at 480' of fence, you're looking at around 60 post holes. If you have a lawn tractor, or 4-wheeler, or something similar, and the space to maneuver, a towed auger saves a lot of wear and tear on the old bod. I've used both towed and two-man (person) augers. For small jobs, the hand-held ones are great, but after a few dozen holes that towed one sure is nice, (especially if your helper is rather small.) It costs a bit more to rent, and is more difficult to move around and position, but it sure makes the actual drilling easy, especially if you have to drill through a lot of clay and rock. :-D

Just my 2 cents.

Fence installs can be difficult. As someone above said, 60 holes are a LOT of holes. The spacing has to be correct, they need to be lined up correctly, the depth needs to be uniform, etc. If the post holes are off, the entire fence can be not straight and very crooked, both in the horizontal and vertical. If you hit rock, you need to know how to deal with it and potentially know how to pin the posts at the bottom. Be ready for much digging, mixing concrete, and tamping soil. As an FYI, most professional fence builders dig the holes by hand. Those augers look neat, but they can be dificult to use. For 60 holes, it will take at least 1 day, maybe 2, even with an auger. And that if you dont hit rock. Spacing for the gate posts can be tricky. The spacing has to be just right in order for the gate to hang correctly, and latch correctly. A fence also needs to look good. I think of it as like the trim work in your house. Nothing looks worse than crown molding joints, or casing miters that are gapped and dont fit. Same with a fence. A crooked fence, gates hanging badly, etc, make an awful look to a finished yard.
Also, almost 500 feet of fence will not go in quickly. A DYI job here with no experience will take you several days, if not a week plus to get this done. Even with an experienced crew of 3, (2 who know what they are doing and 1 grunt on a wheelbarrow) would take 3 days to do this size of job. As an aside, I kow many professional landscapers who have been in the business for 30 years who will not touch a fence of any kind. And these guys build Versa Loc walls and complicated hardscape. They sub fences out; too difficult to get right.

Believe it or not, i'm not trying to discourage you. I'm just pointing out what your getting yourself into. 3K for labor (I'm assuming your $8600 is for materials) plus the gurantee's that I assume would go with the install is not that bad. At 483 feet of fence with 3 gates, that works out to about 6 bucks a foot. Not a bad price, really, for a professional install.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.