What happens to CSI in the winter? Should I worry?

svenpup

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 18, 2009
Sacramento, CA
Thanks to you guys I got my CYA down to a reasonable level and my pool is balanced. I have boric acid on the way, and I am thinking about doing 2000 ppm of salt (basically I do whatever Waterbear says) :).

I have been playing with the calculator, and I have a hypothetical question...

If I plug in normal target levels:

• pH 7.7 (I read that once the borates are in, the pH will tend to buffer to ~7.7)
    TA 75
    CH 300
    CYA 40
    Salt 2000
    Borates 50

With a temp of 70 I get a CSI of -0.22 which is on the low side of balanced.

My question is, what happens when winter comes and the pool temp drops? The values of TA, CH, CYA, Salt, and Borates are going to stay fairly constant without intervention.

Even at 60 degrees, the CSI is in the "Potential to become corrosive" range and obviously gets worse as you approach freezing.

Am I missing something? Will the pH tend to rise automatically as the temperature drops??

Should I jack up the pH as the temp drops?

inquiring minds want to know :roll:

This is really a Deep End topic.

Assuming the pool is covered for the winter, which keeps things fairly stable in most ways, the PH will go up as the temperature goes down, more or less canceling out the change in CSI from the change in temperature. So you don't normally need to worry about it. If the pool is left open, you should allow the natural rise in PH as the water gets colder, to keep CSI balanced.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.