Too cold to add Salt? Cyanuric?

May 14, 2009
Rocket Town, AL
Hey gang,
My water temp should hit 50 this week (SWG will fire up at 50) and I need to add salt and cyn...is there a minimum temp I need to hit before I can add these? Any reason not to add both at the same time (in the correct manor, of course)?

:cheers:

You could add both the salt and CYA at any time. It will just take longer to dissolve in cold water, but thats about the only difference. Add the salt and brush it around so it will dissolve faster. Put the CYA in a sock and tie it near a return. It will dissolve, but slower than if the water is 80 degrees.

PhotoEd said:
It's ok to add salt and CYA at water below 50 degrees: Thanks!

Anyone disagree?
Nope. I have added both year 'round... even in December when my pool's water temp was a record-low 44 degrees F. Actually didn't notice any difference in the salt dispersion duration, but the pound or so of CYA granules I added to the skimmer took a number of hours to dissolve. In summer, they'd have disappeared in 10 minutes or less.

I would wait for the water to reach 60ºF (at least) so you can get a semi-accurate salt reading from the SWCG...I have the IC-40 and have seen readings from 2500 ppm (at 50ºF )to 3150 ppm (at 64ºF)...no salt has been added between readings..as for CYA, assuming we can add anytime.

serge said:
I would wait for the water to reach 60ºF (at least) so you can get a semi-accurate salt reading from the SWCG...I have the IC-40 and have seen readings from 2500 ppm (at 50ºF )to 3150 ppm (at 64ºF)...no salt has been added between readings..as for CYA, assuming we can add anytime.
I agree serge. That was my point in asking what kind of equipment he has. That being said, it wont HURT or damage anything to add those chemicals in cold water.
I dont even add salt until my water hits 65 or so. I chlorinate with di-chlor when i open and for about 3 weeks. I add chlorine and cya at the same time that way.

Unless there is a dedicated salt sensor, such as with AutoPilot and Chloromatic (Jandy), the salt level displayed is estimate, based on the amps and volts from the cell. This is greatly affected by the actual salt level, water temperature, cell age, and scale formation.
You should always test it and inspect the cell before you add salt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.