Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Too cold to add Salt? Cyanuric?

1. Back To Top    #1

Too cold to add Salt? Cyanuric?

Hey gang,
    My water temp should hit 50 this week (SWG will fire up at 50) and I need to add salt and cyn...is there a minimum temp I need to hit before I can add these? Any reason not to add both at the same time (in the correct manor, of course)?

18x36 In-ground Vinyl, 24,000 gallons.
    Sand Filter, 1hp Hayward.
    SWG
    Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Too cold to add Salt? Cyanuric?

What brand of generator do you have? Do you know for sure it will actually start to produce chlorine at 50 degrees? Some will not start working until the water is closer to 60 degrees.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Can't recall at the moment.

Original question still stands....
    SWG
    Polaris 280

4. Back To Top    #4

You could add both the salt and CYA at any time. It will just take longer to dissolve in cold water, but thats about the only difference. Add the salt and brush it around so it will dissolve faster. Put the CYA in a sock and tie it near a return. It will dissolve, but slower than if the water is 80 degrees.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

It's ok to add salt and CYA at water below 50 degrees: Thanks!

Anyone disagree?

SWG
    Polaris 280

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoEd
    It's ok to add salt and CYA at water below 50 degrees: Thanks!

Anyone disagree?
    Nope. I have added both year 'round... even in December when my pool's water temp was a record-low 44 degrees F. Actually didn't notice any difference in the salt dispersion duration, but the pound or so of CYA granules I added to the skimmer took a number of hours to dissolve. In summer, they'd have disappeared in 10 minutes or less.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

7. Back To Top    #7

I would wait for the water to reach 60ºF (at least) so you can get a semi-accurate salt reading from the SWCG...I have the IC-40 and have seen readings from 2500 ppm (at 50ºF )to 3150 ppm (at 64ºF)...no salt has been added between readings..as for CYA, assuming we can add anytime.
    Inground with 7x7 spa (spillover)
    20k gal plaster (sunstone)
    pentair 3/4 hp (filter), 1 hp (spa), 1/2 hp (features)
    cartridge filter
    SWCG IC-40
    Polaris Platinum (with booster)

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by serge
    I would wait for the water to reach 60ºF (at least) so you can get a semi-accurate salt reading from the SWCG...I have the IC-40 and have seen readings from 2500 ppm (at 50ºF )to 3150 ppm (at 64ºF)...no salt has been added between readings..as for CYA, assuming we can add anytime.
    I agree serge. That was my point in asking what kind of equipment he has. That being said, it wont HURT or damage anything to add those chemicals in cold water.
    I dont even add salt until my water hits 65 or so. I chlorinate with di-chlor when i open and for about 3 weeks. I add chlorine and cya at the same time that way.

9. Back To Top    #9

Unless there is a dedicated salt sensor, such as with AutoPilot and Chloromatic (Jandy), the salt level displayed is estimate, based on the amps and volts from the cell. This is greatly affected by the actual salt level, water temperature, cell age, and scale formation.
    You should always test it and inspect the cell before you add salt.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com