Build progress

Brentr, thanks for the advice (I will put a note in my construction folder). We are not planning a cage, but we are having a footer put all around the deck area in case we change our mind.

You might want to consider a raised footer. We did that to prevent water from draining into the pool but found it very handy to set thinks on, for additional seating and as a protector of the screen when using the weedeater. Looks at out pool build in the sig. bar to get ideas. I hope this helps.....

Well things have ground to a halt. The city has issued a stop work order. Before the build began I spoke to the city about access to my property through the side yard, which would involve crossing city property (a walkway and a green-way). In face-to-face meetings, the city agreed assuming the PB put it in the permit and accepted responsibility for any sod damage to the green-way and paving damage to the walkway.

I have the e-mail exchanges with the PB, but the PB forgot to insert it into text of the plans/permit process. As a result the city is now getting amnesia and will not allow the build to proceed. We're talking about 500 sq ft of sod here - I offered to call up a local sod company and pay to have it thrown myself, but sadly it seems logic isn't what's needed at the moment. I am at the point of an inspection (which they are refusing to do) to certify that tank grounding/bonding has been properly done, then the deck gets installed.

There's more details, but they don't really shed any light on the ludicrous nature of the situation.

I'm really sorry to hear about this situation. Especially since all the remaining steps will not be too damaging to the green space. This is unless you plan on bringing in large decorative boulders.

Hope they come to their senses soon.

cobra46,

Nope, just plain-jane acrylic-coated concrete decking - and that gets pumped in from the street. Only remaining time the PB will cross the line is with a rubber tired bobcat to do final grade and yard clean-up.

lbridges I too am sorry to hear about this obstacle. Hang in there and hopefully all will be resolved and progress will be on your pool.

Got to the city manager - Pres of PB and myself signed a letter stating PB would fix anything they screwed up - he agreed to tell the inspectors to go back to work.

Hopefully all the ruckus is over - but instead of a pour yesterday or today, it will be next week - and the weather for beginning of next week is NOT looking like friendly skies for a concrete pour.

Edit: Inspector did show on Friday and we passed they bonding/grounding inspection. Now if Mother Nature would cooperate for a few (although tomorrow - Monday - has a 60% chance of precip).

I also posted this over on GardenWeb, but I'm posting here too since I don't have a lot of experience in the area and need advice. So,...help please.

Please give a look at the pic below (assuming the posting works).

It shows what I believe is a serious issue concerning possible quality issues with the deck that was poured for my pool.

I have sent the PB an e-mail outlining my concerns, but I would like to hear what others think about protecting my rights since the deck pour constitutes the time I next owe a progress payment. I'm not interested in trying to hold up the money since it also covers the some great work like tile, plumbing, etc. However, I'm wondering if I need to send something like a certified letter expressing my feelings that this is inadequate as a product?

deckthickness.jpg

Looks like somebody either didn't order enough mud or the crew wasn't paying attention. You should be getting your full 4" thickness throughout, not just wherever it happened to end up that way! PB ain't gonna like seeing that, but it is not right and needs to be addressed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Melt In The Sun said:
I don't have a lot of experience, but I say "yikes" to that! It sure doesn't look good. Has the PB seen it in person?

Not yet - 4:30 today we meet to discuss where to go from here.

lbridges said:
I also posted this over on GardenWeb, but I'm posting here too since I don't have a lot of experience in the area and need advice. So,...help please.

Please give a look at the pic below (assuming the posting works).

It shows what I believe is a serious issue concerning possible quality issues with the deck that was poured for my pool.

I have sent the PB an e-mail outlining my concerns, but I would like to hear what others think about protecting my rights since the deck pour constitutes the time I next owe a progress payment. I'm not interested in trying to hold up the money since it also covers the some great work like tile, plumbing, etc. However, I'm wondering if I need to send something like a certified letter expressing my feelings that this is inadequate as a product?

deckthickness.jpg

lbridges, I am not sure what I am suppost to look at :shock: We went with pavers because it was cheaper to go with them and our PB said that concrete was going to crack and we would not be happy with that. :cheers:

I hope you get your issue resolved :-D

Pavers are the cheapest in my neck of the woods - stamped concrete is the most expensive. However, regarding concrete decking - I'm just following the directions of SWMBO. Besides, it honestly fits in better with existing patio, etc.

Anyway - PB & I met today - happy outcome. They will fix this area. And to allay my worries about other voids/hidden issues they will modify, and lifetime extend, their standard warranty to cover failures due to workmanship. This should not be construed to say they warranty against all cracks - neither they, nor I, believe that to be possible in the long term.

I should mention I work with a guy who has one of their decks, 13-years young, without a crack. My front sidewalk was poured in 1978 and has NO cracks. We have no dirt, just sand, and very low differences in ground temps (I have no idea if that's why, but its the best I got at the moment).

Everybody has a bad day from time to time - the difference (for me) is if you will stand up behind your product. My faith in this contractor is restored.

WOW that is a lot of fence. Wonder if you could have saved some money by putting the baby fence all the way bcak to the white fence.....

Getting close to the end. Today pre-plaster work was done (cutting off stubs for returns, etc) and they set the equipment on the pad. Plaster is scheduled for Thursday and electrical hook-up on Friday.

Pic of the equipment pad - they pre-plumbed for solar and a heat pump in case I should decide to DIY those items later (money tree is about stripped bare at the moment). The Chlorinator is there for use only until the Intellichlor IC-40 comes online in a few weeks.

See anything wrong?

25-equipmentpad.jpg

simicrintz said:
I see a tab feeder that is going to use pucks and raise your CYA :lol: :lol:

If that's all someone with your experience sees as wrong them I'm happy.

The feeder is there to inject Chlorine and CYA for the first few weeks of the pool's life only. It will be removed and put into storage "just in case". That particular brand/model happens to be a direct fit/size (or so I was told) to be replaced by the Pentair Intellichlor IC-40 SWG that is to be installed after the plaster cures for a while (between 3 & 4 weeks according to the PB).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.