Trying to raise raise Ph and chlorine after abscorbic treat.

Jul 20, 2007
Wheeeehhhhh what a summer. First got diagnosed with mustard algae (think they were wrong). Had super cloudy water then, and replaced sand in filter...that cleaned up the water, but had brown stains on side and bottom of pool. Used your ascorbic trick....YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME WITH ADVISE...just joined last week. now the stains are gone....so i added two bottles of metal out (23000 gal pool) after lowering ph and chlorine. Now I am ready to add chlorine and borax to raise ph and cl levels...the alkalinity is medium to high. Sound like a good plan????? Is there a standard...for bleach addition when I am used to the 1 lb bags of shock.....for example...maybe 1 liter of bleach has same effect of 1 one lb. bag of shock?

Thanks guys!

Remember to only bring chlorine and PH levels up very slowly after doing an ascorbic acid treatment.

It takes about a gallon (3.8 liters) of bleach to equal 1 lb of powdered chlorine. The number isn't at all exact, since both the bleach and the "shock" are available in different strengths.

I wouldn't use powdered bleach - I would use plain ordinary bleach. This way you can control exactly how much you putting in, and raise the chlorine very slowly. You do not want to shock the pool for at least 2 weeks after a stain treatment. You want to use borax to bring your ph up to 7.2, no higher until you can hold chlorine overnight, and you don't see any stains forming. As you bring your chlorine up to the high end of the "best guess chart", watch for new stains. If you see some start, add more sequestering agent (with ph not higher than 7.2). You will find it hard to keep chlorine in your pool until all of the ascorbic acid is gone. It will be hard to get your ph in range too. If your alk is below 80, you can use some baking soda to get it up to 80. If you need to raise both alk and ph, you can use washing soda (soda ash). If your water gets cloudy, just keep the filter running 24/7, and you can use a clarifier SeaKlear is a good one. Let us know if you have any other questions :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.