Cold Weather Gloves

Thinkly

Oct 12, 2009
Overland Park, KS
I searched for this and came up empty:

I don't mind closing late and opening the pool early but simply hate my hands freezing off when putting the vac hose in the skimmer etc. Can anyone recommend a good set of gloves that keep the hands and forearms dry and maybe even a bit warm?

Know what you mean. My dominant hand, thumb, has a huge amount of arthritis and I can't bear the pain from cold.

I use different grades of vinyl/rubber gloves, different lengths, and use polypropylene liners inside them. The liners are pretty thin but keep heat in but let perspiration moisture out. I can even put exam gloves over them comfortably. I just use what ever is called for for needed warmth and/or dexterity needs. Sometimes in winter I'll cut the finger tips off of exam gloves to wear around the house for warmth.

I purchased a pair of vinyl, full arm length, aquarium gloves that are pretty heavy on the hand part. One of the best pool-tool purchases I've ever made. They are pretty roomy so I can even wear rag wool gloves inside them.

gg=alice

I can't tell you how many times people wonder why I charge more for a late November to mid December closing. But business has slowed. Then I suggest they put their hands in the water. When they say let me have the gloves and I tell them No, then they understand.

Water sucks the heat from a person over 10 times faster than air at the same temp. Without arm length waterproof gloves, it takes an extra hour for me to winterize the line without the gloves. After a few returns, my hands are numb and I can't do much till they warm. Then comes the pain as they come back to life.

When I am done with the pool, my hands need to warm again so I can write. Again, more pain.

With the gloves, my hands are dry and I am able to write. I save almost an hour per closing. Having the right tools for the job is one of the reasons why my customers know they can trust me to do it right. If my hand is numb, I can't tell if the winter plugs are tight enough. With them dry, no problems.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.