Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cold Weather Gloves

1. Back To Top    #1

Cold Weather Gloves

I searched for this and came up empty:

I don't mind closing late and opening the pool early but simply hate my hands freezing off when putting the vac hose in the skimmer etc. Can anyone recommend a good set of gloves that keep the hands and forearms dry and maybe even a bit warm?
    10,000 gallon
    Viking Freeform Fiberglass Inground Pool. FNS Plus DE Filter Pentair Challenger .75hp pump

NC KANSAS44

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cold Weather Gloves

I know what you are talking about. I try to get in and out as quick as possible. The hardest part is when I am trying to get a water sample to do my testing.

3. Back To Top    #3

I think that most of us just kind of grit our teeth and put our hands and arms in.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

4. Back To Top    #4

After about 10-15 seconds, it seems as though my hand goes numb anyways.

5. Back To Top    #5

Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

6. Back To Top    #6

Know what you mean. My dominant hand, thumb, has a huge amount of arthritis and I can't bear the pain from cold.

I use different grades of vinyl/rubber gloves, different lengths, and use polypropylene liners inside them. The liners are pretty thin but keep heat in but let perspiration moisture out. I can even put exam gloves over them comfortably. I just use what ever is called for for needed warmth and/or dexterity needs. Sometimes in winter I'll cut the finger tips off of exam gloves to wear around the house for warmth.

I purchased a pair of vinyl, full arm length, aquarium gloves that are pretty heavy on the hand part. One of the best pool-tool purchases I've ever made. They are pretty roomy so I can even wear rag wool gloves inside them.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    That's the ticket. Those prices are good too.
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    Now you're talkin'.
    10,000 gallon
    Viking Freeform Fiberglass Inground Pool. FNS Plus DE Filter Pentair Challenger .75hp pump

NC KANSAS44

9. Back To Top    #9

I can't tell you how many times people wonder why I charge more for a late November to mid December closing. But business has slowed. Then I suggest they put their hands in the water. When they say let me have the gloves and I tell them No, then they understand.

Water sucks the heat from a person over 10 times faster than air at the same temp. Without arm length waterproof gloves, it takes an extra hour for me to winterize the line without the gloves. After a few returns, my hands are numb and I can't do much till they warm. Then comes the pain as they come back to life.

When I am done with the pool, my hands need to warm again so I can write. Again, more pain.

With the gloves, my hands are dry and I am able to write. I save almost an hour per closing. Having the right tools for the job is one of the reasons why my customers know they can trust me to do it right. If my hand is numb, I can't tell if the winter plugs are tight enough. With them dry, no problems.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.