Wind destroyed pool cover - buy another now or not?

hawkins3

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2009
Eastern NC
The winds finally destroyed our (cheapo) pool cover a few weeks ago. On the bright side, we can now see how clear how water is! I've scooped out most of the leaves. My husband and I are just wondering if we should spend the money now this close to Spring on a new cover or possibly start up much earlier than expected. I'm worried the most about pollen when that starts flying in a few weeks.

We do have a solar cover that we could put on, but of course I'm turning to the real experts here at TFP to tell me what to do! :goodjob:

I would go ahead and open. You should be past any possibility of seriously cold weather, so there is no reason to have the pool stay closed. The down side (minor) is that you will use a little more electricity, to run the pump, than you would if you bought a new cover and stayed closed.

First of all, my apologies for not returning to my post to thank Jason, FPM & JohnnyB for their replies to my original question. Thanks so much ... this is the best online forum I've ever used! :goodjob:

As an update, we did go ahead & open early instead of buying a new cover. We had a little algae start before we could refill & get the pump set back up that weekend, but the pool calculator's recommended bleach dosings, filtering & then a good brush/vaccum took care of that! Our water is simply beautiful now ... so sparkly & clear that it's very easy to see all of the oak & pine tree "tags" that accumulate between the Saturday vaccumings. I'll be so glad when the pollen & various tree "droppings" stop. :evil:

I do have a solar blanket question: have many of you had problems with the wind blowing it away? Our blanket is for a 24' round pool, but it doesn't completely lay down flat. We put the cover on before we left for Easter week at the beach, and some high winds the Thursday night before we returned on Friday blew it off the pool. After cleaning it to remove dirt, grass & a lot of pollen, I couldn't convince my husband to put it back on the pool & now it's back in the basement because he thinks it's more trouble than it's worth.

We are in the process of working with someone to build a deck for us & I'm looking forward to posting pics when it's complete. I am a little concerned with sawdust getting in the pool ... would it be a good idea to pull out the solar blanket again or are we back to the original point of needing to buy a winter cover & put that on during the construction process?

Thanks!

Doris

Mine lays flat, but we got some windy days where even then the wind can get under it. When I know I won't be around to monitor it - I use pool-water filled empty bleach jugs, 3 -4 around the pool to keep it in place. I set them on top of the solar, about 1-2 feet in from the outside edge. They don't sink, the cover doesn't sink, and it holds it in place. This is what I do when I leave for extended vacations (week-long or more) and always return to the cover where I left it.

(seems like the lighter weight 6-8 mil covers blow off easier than the heavier type 12-16 mil.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.