whisperflo pump motor problems

mfee

Jul 24, 2007
nebraska
I have a 1 hp whisperflo pump. It stopped working when I shut it off to back wash the system. I dismantled the pump, hooked the motor back up to the power and it still just sat there and hummed. I gave the motor a spin and it started running. When the power was shut off the motor/pump made a screeching sound as it stopped.

I took the pump to the pool store and they said I could replace the motor ($210) or the entire pump ($410). I have the pump dismantled but cannot get the impeller off the pump motor. Is there a tool that I need to get this off. I am afraid of nable to the unit since it appears to be all plastic.

Questions
1. Could this be the seal or a simple bearing somewhere that I can easily replace?
2. In order to replace the motor how do I get the impeller off the motor shaft? (I have removed the screw and the 4 bolts)
3. The pool store said I should also replace the "seal". Is this the seal on the motor shaft and is this something I might be able to do?
Thanks for your help
dsc04579bc7.jpg

dsc04580kj7.jpg

I can help. At the back of the motor there is a plug, Remove it and you will see the motor shaft. Hold onto that with a 9/16 open end wrench while you unscrew the impeller from the shaft, assuming you removed the screw already. Then behind that you will see the pump seal.

Buy a pump rebuild kit and it should work fine.

Nothing wrong with 'cruz's' reply, he's 100% correct. The shaft may take a 1/2" wrench or even 7/ 16".
Please note the orientation of the shaft seal assembly (the part that most probably failed) so that you install the new one properly! If you need some more help or info on this, feel 'trouble free' to ask :wink:

When a motor just sits there and hums, that is usually and indication that there is a problem with the starter capacitor or governor switch so you might want to check those too.

Thanks for the help and I appreciate the welcome.
I have removed the screw (That took an impact driver) It was really stuck. Now I can't get the impeller off. So you think it is stuck on or is there a puller in the rebuild kit? I already went and bought a whole new pump and motor. My wife was getting impatient.
Thanks again for the help

Again, thanks for your help. After removing the left handed screw in the center I tried hammering the pulley off. Your suggestion of simply unscrewing the thing was right on. It came off by simply unscrewing the impeller off the shaft. I can't thank you all enough for your help. It is the simple things that get you!
mfee

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.