Fair Price on equipment move?

Jun 30, 2008
Suffolk County, NY
I don't see a lot of posts on this website about PB pricing for different jobs. So I hope I am not out of line with asking...

I am looking into moving all my pool equipment (filter, plumbing, heater, electric, etc) about 10 to 15 feet from where it is now. I want to open the yard up a lot more and this stuff is in the way.

My pool guy who I trust and IMO is a genius quoted me what I think is a VERY expensive price to do this work. He wants about $1,800 to move all plumbing, run the gas for the heater to the new location, and run new electric from the house to the new area. Its a very basic setup only with an attached spa so the plumbing is pretty much like any standard IGP.

Does this sound very high to you guys?

Thanks,

mitch08 said:
I don't see a lot of posts on this website about PB pricing for different jobs.
Building on David's comment... Since labor and overhead (and to a lesser extent, materials) varies greatly throughout the US (and around the world) you'd probably get responses more applicable to your situation if you stated where you reside.

Also, does this planned move of 10-15 feet place the equipment CLOSER to the pool or FARTHER away? Is the ground level in both current and target locations? Roughly same distance to electrical panel? Is the contractor pouring a pad?

That could be a reasonable price, especially if they have to rerun the electric and gas lines from the house, rather than just extend them from where they are now. There are a large number of details that affect the price, things like the number of skimmers/returns, how far the pool is from the house, can an above ground junction box be left in the current location, how large your pump(s) are, is the equipment getting closer to or farther from the spa, are there obstructions that much be routed around, etc. So it is difficult to give you a more specific answer.

Last year when I had my favorite, trusted pool guy out, I didn't get a price, but when I asked him about moving my pumping station down the hill (pad is about 8ft below the top of pool and under the deck), about 15 ft further away from pool his first replay was,"How long do you want me out here." (knowing how much we like our solitude and privacy and that money is not flowing like it used to). This will be a simple move. We can't get any heavy equipment back to that yard and under the deck where pad is located and everything has to be carried around to back in small quantities. I think he may have been considering pouring a pad, too, without using anything big to mix the concrete. The pad would also need deep footings poured. The "soil" is about 95% limestone rocks, some huge so digging the trench by hand will take extra time.

One thing I've recently discovered, and purchased one for my big, new filter in its temporary location, is preformed, reinforced "plastic" (not sure of the "material") but a large choice of weights and sizes, that are used for boilers, condensers, filters.... all kinds of industrial uses, mostly.

I'm probably going to do the move myself, and use the preformed pad, but hire someone to dig and refill the trench, and pour or place preformed footings (by hand, under the deck, where you can't stand upright until you get close to where the new location will be).

I'm interested, too, in seeing some estimates that you get. I hate getting estimates. Half of the people don't show up and half of the ones who do don't call back with estimates.

gg=alice

I charge $16.00 per foot for gas runs, $13.00 per foot for electric runs, and $10.00 per foot for plumbing runs; these are for each line and includes trenching. J-Boxes, check valves, etc. are extra.

I hope that helps! I didn't see mention of length of runs, but as you can see, it would not take long to add up if you had much length at all!

Thanks everyone. Im on Long Island, NY.

I am moving things further away from the pool and the ground is level. He will be pouring a new cement pad for the equipment. He has to run new electric because I dont want an above ground junction box sticking out, but I believe the plumbing can go from where it is at. Not sure though...

Another concern is that I am moving everything about 10' away from where the spa is. Right now I get great pressure at the spa and I dont want that to change. He told me I dont have anything to worry about and that 10' will make no difference. The total distance from the spa now is about 7' and it will become about 17' - 20'...

I guess from what everyone is hinting at, the price is pretty fair. I dont want to shop around to save $200 cause this guy is fantastic and anytime in the past Ive done that, Ive been screwed :)

Should I have any concerns on the pressure / heating of the spa or pool?

Thanks again!!!

Increasing the length of the spa run will have an effect, reducing the flow rate at least a little, but it should be a rather small effect if everything is done correctly.

Yes, the plumbing connections can be made underground and not show.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Depending on where you live, you may have to get permits for this kind of work, and have it inspected. The last thing you want is to be trying to sell you. house and you can't because you have a violation fornot getting an inspection.

Hi - this is several years later but I'm looking to do the same that you did. Thanks for the post. While I like my pool guy and his price is fair for what he is doing, he is only moving my equipment and I have to contract out each of the other aspects of the job individually. Very time consuming and annoying. Would you mind sharing the name of your pool company? I live fairly close to your area. Thank you!!

Adam

I don't see a lot of posts on this website about PB pricing for different jobs. So I hope I am not out of line with asking...

I am looking into moving all my pool equipment (filter, plumbing, heater, electric, etc) about 10 to 15 feet from where it is now. I want to open the yard up a lot more and this stuff is in the way.

My pool guy who I trust and IMO is a genius quoted me what I think is a VERY expensive price to do this work. He wants about $1,800 to move all plumbing, run the gas for the heater to the new location, and run new electric from the house to the new area. Its a very basic setup only with an attached spa so the plumbing is pretty much like any standard IGP.

Does this sound very high to you guys?

Thanks,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.