Umbrellas - $79 to $1000+ ??

Melt In The Sun

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Hi everyone,
We're planning on buying one or two umbrellas within the next month or so, since the weather's starting to get really nice down here. One mobile as a pool shade, and one fixed at the bar.

Preliminary recon, we found umbrellas from $79 at Target/Lowe's/WM to $1000+ at fancy patio stores. Can someone with experience help us decide? The more expensive umbrellas are obviously sturdier and have more robust fabrics, but what is really worth paying for? Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks a bunch.
Danny

Hello. Check out a company called Wanda Technology's.
I've bought cheap, and it just does not last.
Sold Wanda's items for couple years.
Will be getting umbrellas from them this year for personnal use.

River Brook Pools & Spas, Inc.
Mike Ostermann

I have been using all kinds for years; different sizes, fabrics, and costs. First and foremost what kind of prevailing winds (speeds) are normal for your place? What are gust speeds you can expect on windy days and storms? What is the highest gust you've had, over several years, during storms? Will you be leaving them open all the time? Will someone be available to close them if some are left open and a storm comes up?

What is your sun intensity? Do you plan on wanting to match the fabric type/color when/if your replace the whole umbrella or just the fabric? Let's get started with answers to these questions and go from there. gg=alice

To answer Alice's questions...

We live in Tucson, AZ. Sun is extremely intense. Winds are typically light to moderate (5-15 mph), but can get very strong during storms (50+ mph gusts). We plan on closing the umbrellas whenever nobody's using them, since we expect them to get destroyed if they're left open.

Hadn't really thought about replacing fabric only; that would be great, since we expect the sun to toast the fabrics pretty quickly. Are all umbrellas' fabrics easily replaceable, or is that something to be careful to note? Are some types of fabric more durable than others?

We don't expect to get something that will last forever, just looking for a good ratio of time/money.

Mike, thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look.

I've never spent more than $200 on an umbrella and it seems like right around the time the fabric begins to look bad, something mechanical breaks too. I end up replacing the umbrella every 2-3 years, the original set umbrella lasted 3-4 I think and it broke where you can tilt the umbrella... snapped in two.

I'm going to answer really quickly, (highly unusual for gg) and will discuss more at a later time. I'm in the Dallas area so our UV indexes are some of the highest in country. And we have really high winds. 20 mph is a gentle breeze. You'll find, in general, three different types of fabric. I think all have high polyester content with 0-? polypropylene, either sprayed on fibers before weaving or onto finished fabric, etc., etc. The cheapest fabrics will stain more readily from birds and plant droppings. I used to have all light colored in various shades "off white". I've tried cleaning the cheaper ones using non chlorine products but, on my largest, round, 11 ft, "cheap" fabric I had to resort to a bleach/water soak to get the stains from trees to come out. That had to have shortened the fabric's life. It was shaded morning and late afternoon, but had full searing sun during main part of day. It stayed open early spring to late fall except, during higher winds, and taken down going in to winter. The fabric lasted 2 1/4 swimming season, which is long here. After first summer there were some small rips around the top part that I patched with similar color and a good fabric glue that made it through the second summer. By next summer it was time to replace. Most patio umbrellas, now days, have top vents that help to keep them from becoming sails. Don't get one without that. That umbrella had a wooden pole and spines and rope pulley system which is the most trouble free over it's life. It did not have a tilt feature which can be a problem in even gentle breezes. (I do like the tilt feature and have some.) On many umbrellas the spines that hold the fabric are aluminum whether pole in wood or aluminum. There are different grades of aluminum used as there are different grades of wood used. I think if I had treated the wooden pole with a protectant I may have gotten more years out of it and had to replace only the fabric part. I've had more problems, in all price range/quality umbrellas, with the crank feature. I try to get rope pulley now if possible.

The second "best fabric" is just below Sunbrella fabric and usually has more than a year warranty on fabric. It stains less. The Sunbrella brand fabric will cost more and has a longer warranty, I think up to five years maybe more on true commercial, expensive umbrellas. The 11 ft Sunbrella I purchased last year, to replace the one mentioned above, is a darker color than the others. I can't remember the name. But it is "heathered" color that blends better if you have other "off white" type colors. With some of the medium priced fabrics and the Sunbrella you can be reasonably assured that you can match colors in the future whether replacing only the fabric or whole umbrella. Last year was the first year I've purchased Sunbrella, the 11 ft and a 9 ft half umbrella. The half has been open since last year as the crank is stuck in open position. The 11 ft is off of the bottom part of pole and laying on a bench, uncovered, on my deck where I have bird feeders. It gets pooped on by birds a little. Even the berry colored poops haven't stained it and rinse off easily. Although I have heavy weights on the half umbrella, half base it has been picked up a couple of times by wind and dumped over against a table and chairs. The pole and spines are aluminum but have not been damaged. On cheaper umbrellas, I've had bent spines when they went flying.

The 11 ft is a lower range "commercial" built for wind with fiberglass spines. It goes through a table, which gives a bit of support for pole and into a pretty heavy base. Early winter, before I could get it down, we had a storm come up with > 70 mph variable gust and straight line winds. It was not closed and I didn't want to go out into the "hurricane" to close it. As I was watching it it lifted out of the base (I guess it loosened in the wind), hovered above the table for a few seconds and then flew across the deck and slammed into the deck railing. I didn't rescue it till next day, when winds and torrents of rain eased a bit. Not one bit of damage anywhere.

I purchased a cantilever or off set 9 ft, round, last year in a taupe color, expecting to keep it open unless winds get above 50 mph. I have two bases for it totalling close to 300 lbs when bases are stacked. I never got it put up though. It is a semi-commercial but I don't think it is Sunbrella. It has been sitting out, uncovered, in my driveway yard under heavy leaves and has not stained at all. I would have preferred a lighter color than taupe but this particular color was about 40-50% off of the price of most other colors.

The base type and weight are extremely important. The 11 ft has a heavy base, granite, but the screws holding the pole into the base didn't hold the pole in in 70+ mph. It functioned perfectly below that wind speed. Pay particular attention to the minimum recommended base weight for the types of applications. Get heavier than the minimum.

I love the bend type for certain applications, and have one right by my spa, with a pretty light weight base but it goes through a hole in the wooden bar attached to the spa surround, use for privacy and sun shade. Those are very prone to damage, especially when in "bent" position, in all but gentle breezes. You can, also, get bases that are designed to wedge under a spa. I didn't know about them when I drilled the hole in the bar several years ago.

The cheaper, bargain umbrellas are great if you expect only one season from the fabric in our searing sun. It is hard to find replacement fabrics for these as many umbrellas have slightly different spine lengths, spacings and numbers. It is much cheaper to just totally replace those. There are a few brands that offer replacement fabric part, for specific umbrellas, in the price range right above bargain. I really prefer to keep the umbrellas colors as close as possible as I have six that all be seen from different angles.

Spend what ever it takes to get the needed base. There are fabulous bargains for them if you spend time looking. Some that I have can be filled with water or sand, bricks, etc. but those take up more space horizontal and vertical. The ones that can be filled for heavy applications are especially large. This is especially important if you are using one with a table. You need to be aware of foot room. You have to be certain that the base will be under the support in the middle of table at knee height, or that the ring, built into table is large enough to allow the taller base, pole support, to got through. The taller the pole tube is the better. Some bases are made to accommodate poles that are up to 1.5 inches, others to 2-2.5 inches, for instance, etc., etc.

The crank opening on my half, Sunbrella umbrella is stuck open. I have emailed where I purchased it from but not gotten a reply. I hope to call them this week. I'll report back on this on-line seller. I do like their selections and the shipping has been free.

We'll gg is verbose.

Please ask any questions.

gg=alice

drussin said:
To answer Alice's questions...

We live in Tucson, AZ. Sun is extremely intense. Winds are typically light to moderate (5-15 mph), but can get very strong during storms (50+ mph gusts). We plan on closing the umbrellas whenever nobody's using them, since we expect them to get destroyed if they're left open.

Hadn't really thought about replacing fabric only; that would be great, since we expect the sun to toast the fabrics pretty quickly. Are all umbrellas' fabrics easily replaceable, or is that something to be careful to note? Are some types of fabric more durable than others?

We don't expect to get something that will last forever, just looking for a good ratio of time/money.

Mike, thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look.

I purchased two umbrellas two years ago from PatioUmbrellas.com with good success. The ones I chose were bronze colored aluminum by Coral Coast - 9 feet - They were $99 each and so far have held up pretty well. I especially liked the variety of colors that were offered and shipping was very fast. I do take my down during any heavy winds or storms and so far there hasn't been any noticeable fading in the color.

I bought the 79 dollar one you mentioned from Lowe's last year. Nice umbrella, but is a little flimsy. Wife put it out last week in the base, it was closed, and wind took it down. One of the wood spines snapped clean in half. I can fix it, but just like anything else, you get what you pay for. I don't expect it to last much longer.

However, I would also be hesitant to dump a bunch of money into something when the enemy (wind/sun) will have the same effect on an umbrella, at any price.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
geekgranny said:
The crank opening on my half, Sunbrella umbrella is stuck open. I have emailed where I purchased it from but not gotten a reply. I hope to call them this week. I'll report back on this on-line seller. I do like their selections and the shipping has been free.
gg=alice

I purchased the half umbrella from outdora.com (not outdura) I shopped around for the half base and may have purchased it from Amazon.

I called service a couple of months ago. I had two complaints. First was the crank. Service rep BTW... was wonderful to work with. They are located in California wine country. Anyway he said he would contact the manufacturer and they would send me a new pole assembly sans fabric.

My second complaint was that the Sunbrella fabric was sagging between the spines, collecting water and then blowing down off when a gust of wind hit it. In addition it would cause some dirt deposit. It does wash off though.

The manufacturer sent me a whole new complete umbrella. In addition my only other Sunbrella umbrella, the 11 ft commercial does that too but to a lesser extent. None of my cheaper umbrellas have ever had that problem. I did not purchase the 11 ft from Outdora so I'm going to contact the seller for the 11 ft.

On the "broken" umbrella I'm going to take the fabric off and take it to a seamstress to run a seam down the pieces, where original seam is to tighten it up a bit. While it is off I'm going to see if I can get the stuck open crank working again. This Sunbrella half umbrella has been through a whole year of being open and several "hurricane" type storm with winds over 70 mph. It has fallen over a few times. The fabric, pole, and spines are in perfect shape. I now have it weighted with rocks in a large metal plant waterer and a wooden planter filled with very heavy soil. It's made it through the recent past two > 70 mph storms.

It seems that on my two Sunbrella the very edge of fabric is tighter than the rest causing the small dip at edge and some collection of water.

On thing service tech suggested is to put on fabric is a marine product that will not change color but offer extra UV protection and maybe tighten the fabric a bit. I forget what it is but I'll find out.

I have a problem with the squirrels chewing small pieces out of fabrics (cushions, umbrellas, and anything else) they do chew a bit on the bargain umbrella at my spa (the pole runs through the table ledge attached to the surround so they can easily reach it) but have not bothered the 11 ft Sunbrella stored on a bench on deck very available to them.

I'll report back when I contact the seller of the 11 ft Sunbrella about the small sagging issue.

I really like the Sunbrella fabric. After a whole summer in searing sun both look brand new. I need to replace a few cushions and I'm definitely going Sunbrella so I can leave them out in the sun. The Sunbrella, also, dries quickly. I may have to purchase them one at a time (cost) but at least the squirrels may not chew on them and they will be very resistant to UV. It will be very easy to match colors in future too.

gg=alice

gkruske said:
I bought the 79 dollar one you mentioned from Lowe's last year. Nice umbrella, but is a little flimsy. Wife put it out last week in the base, it was closed, and wind took it down. One of the wood spines snapped clean in half. I can fix it, but just like anything else, you get what you pay for. I don't expect it to last much longer.

However, I would also be hesitant to dump a bunch of money into something when the enemy (wind/sun) will have the same effect on an umbrella, at any price.

My under $500 11 ft Sunbrella, commercial, with fiberglass spines has held up to conditions that very few people will ever have, over and over. I'm totally sold on Sunbrella fabric and fiberglass spines. And pulley instead of crank.

I've had several of the bargain umbrella aluminum spines bend. The flat metal that is used at the end of chain link fences to attach the mesh to the pole is great for mending. It is about the same width of the spine, it cuts easily with bolt cutter, and drills nicely. I just use two pieces on either side of bend and run small bolts all the way through, with washer and nut of course. I've even just used heavy plastic coated wire wrapped around to attach the pieces when I didn't have the small bolts handy.

This summer I'm thinking about using some of my old bargain pole/spine (fabrics long gone) for plantbrellas out in the back of yard where only the plants will be visible (brown aluminum). I'm thinking about flowering vines. Setting them in just a bit of concrete.

gg=alice

geekgranny said:
On thing service tech suggested is to put on fabric is a marine product that will not change color but offer extra UV protection and maybe tighten the fabric a bit. I forget what it is but I'll find out.

My guess is it's a product made by the 303 people: http://www.303products.com/shop303/inde ... ategory=58 or perhaps 3M (who makes a bunch of marine products).

I've had great luck in my area with boat and auto tops (I drive a convertible), and vinyl protection etc. Great UV damage control, I get mine at West Marine (which seems to be all over in E Central Florida), but probably any marine store would sell it.

lbridges said:
geekgranny said:

My guess is it's a product made by the 303 people: http://www.303products.com/shop303/inde ... ategory=58 or perhaps 3M (who makes a bunch of marine products).

I've had great luck in my area with boat and auto tops (I drive a convertible), and vinyl protection etc. Great UV damage control, I get mine at West Marine (which seems to be all over in E Central Florida), but probably any marine store would sell it.

I use the AeroSpace 303 product on goo gobs of things. It even somewhat "restores" some rubber products. Love the product. Don't like to be out of it.

We are really close to a lake with marina. I'll bet they have the products but might just be easier to order from Internet.

BTW.... thanks for the link. :goodjob:

gg=alice

susie said:
I purchased two umbrellas two years ago from PatioUmbrellas.com with good success. The ones I chose were bronze colored aluminum by Coral Coast - 9 feet - They were $99 each and so far have held up pretty well. I especially liked the variety of colors that were offered and shipping was very fast. I do take my down during any heavy winds or storms and so far there hasn't been any noticeable fading in the color.

That's where I purchased my 11ft one. Heathered Beige. Go look at their wind test video. I'm not sure of the wind speed but it is mighty fierce. :shock: Read reviews too.

http://www.patioumbrellas.com/patio...lt11ftwindresistantaluminummarketumbrella.cfm

gg=alice

I'm going to put up the off-set today. BTW...... the price was incredible. I had forgotten. The taupe color was dicounted $40-50 last year so an even better price than listed. Edit... Just looked up what I paid. I got it for $220, with dicount for taupe color, instead of $300. Not a bad deal.

Link http://www.patioumbrellas.com/offse...fsetpatioumbrella.cfm?RNtt=RE069#ReviewHeader

Just got off phone with Patioumbrellas about the 11 ft. Very pleasant experience. More than likely Fiberbuilt (manufacturer) will be sending whole umbrella set. :party:

I surely like good customer support. :cheers:

gg=alice

I just discovered why I purchased the "off the wall" half umbrella from outdora.com. They have the antique beige (patioumbrellas.com doesn't have as large a selection in fabrics and colors for the half umbrella) and three fabric types to choose from. The Sunbrella antique beige goes well with the Sunbrella heathered beige of the 11 ft. They are so close to each other the edges almost touch.

gg=alice

Well, we found one with the Sunbrella fabric at a pretty good price.

Does anyone have any experience with cantilever/offset umbrellas? We'd like to get one of these to hang over the pool, but most of them seem quite flimsy. One of the high-end patio stores around here has very nice ones that weigh about 400 pounds, but they're 1100 bucks. Target, WM, Lowe's, etc. all have offset umbrellas for around 300 dollars, but the quality of their construction doesn't inspire confidence. Does anyone have one? How do they hold up?

Danny

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.