Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is there any reason not to use this?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is there any reason not to use this?

I still have some weird staining/blotchiness in the pool which Vitamin C didn't touch. I suspect it's scaling, as the pH was really high when I first started testing it after I moved in. In an older thread someone suggested trying to sand it off.

Well, the big stain is still under about 4' of very cold water and I don't own a wetsuit. But the weird stuff on the steps of the spa is reachable. Especially when the heater is on and I'm in it! Just because I've got the beginner's obsessiveness going on, I brought a scrub brush and a scotchbrite pad in with me this evening. Pretty much every inch of the spa got a good scrubbing with the brush, and the steps and the corners got a scrubbing with the pad. They do feel much smoother.

Is there any reason I shouldn't use these?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is there any reason not to use this?

Those are fine on plaster that is more than a year old, though you might have better luck with a pumice stone.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Wet/Dry 220 grit sand paper works well and gives a good feel of control too if it's calcium. A picture of the stain(s) helps.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

I've used wet/dry sand paper before it is seems to work really well and easy to control how much of the surface is removed.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Above suggestions are good if they work. Pumice stones are great and come in different grit "sizes". The scale on my steps was so hard, when I acid washed last year, I had to use an angle grinder with a concrete disc. I only got one done before I slipped going down to deep end and tore a rotator cuff tendon but I spent about two hours on one step and was on my second concrete disc when I stopped. My plaster is blue so the contrast between the blue and white scale made it easy to see when I got down to the plaster.

BTW... the scaling stained more easily than the plaster and held the stain more tightly.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Also have your spa checked for metals. (depending on the color of the stain) But sometimes heaters can emit some copper, and that will cause staining. Then you could just add some Spa metal free, or something similiar, and that should remove the stain.
    1965 Hybrid Pool, Swimquip U3 skimmer, Aqua slide n dive board and slide, Hayward Super pump, Hayward sand filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    Wet/Dry 220 grit sand paper works well and gives a good feel of control too if it's calcium. A picture of the stain(s) helps.

Scott
    Here ya go, from the older thread. The spotty one is the step, and the light circles have grown some since scouring. The edges of the steps are totally white now. I think it may be calcium that got stained. The pH was very high when I moved in.
    [center:2e5n24mu]

[/center:2e5n24mu]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!