Unusual finds

baudilus

Jun 23, 2009
Toms River, NJ
I'm curious - if you don't mind sharing, what is the most unusual thing you've ever found in you pool?

I find that during some months in the summer the occassionally field mouse or small brid meets its demise in my skimmer baskets.

Boy, I have a feeling this thread is going to make me so thankful that I have a screen eclosure! :puker: :pukel:

I'm sure it's not unusual at all; strangest thing I've found is a frog.

I found a squirrle swimming around in about a foot of water in our old easy set pool. It kept swimming around in circles trying to find a way out. I found an old 2x4 and lay it across the pool so the squirrle could climb out.

no-mas said:
Boy, I have a feeling this thread is going to make me so thankful that I have a screen eclosure! :puker: :pukel:

I'm sure it's not unusual at all; strangest thing I've found is a frog.
I am with no-mas, we love our screen enclosure :party: :party: however we found a snake when we started up our pool, must have gotten into the plumbing during installation....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've had to fish out two armadillos, a bat, numerous snakes, pond turtles as big as dinner plates, toads, frogs, crayfish, a very young raccoon, numerous mice, and moles, and several birds. We live very close to a wet land (used to be called a swamp) and one of the main feeder creeks runs just behind our pool fence so we get some critter in the pool almost every day.

Live non-venomous snakes of all kinds, usually alive and swimming, usually juveniles. Also, copperheads, a few corals, drowned in skimmer, and two summers ago a juvenile rattlesnake, drowned in skimmer. For some reason the venomous snakes seem to drown more quickly than the non.

Last summer, when pool was drained for acid washing, an adult emerald green, with yellow belly, non-venomous, snake, 36", got into pool and baked in the 100+ morning temp/sun. It was noon before I found it at the drain where there was a bit of water. I thought I knew all of the snake types out here, and see at least one live snake every day. I had never seen this kind of snake before. I tried to identify it but I nothing I've found has helped me put a name to it.

We've never had any birds drown although we feed hundreds. No squirrels or other larger critters. Occasional rats and mice that I rescue if they haven't drowned, a dead mole and a couple of dead, rotten, rats one winter that I used a leaf catcher cover, frogs and toads too. I check the skimmer every morning and rescue anything living.

One winter, when we had a leak, pool was lowered and no pump running. Next spring we had thousands of tadpoles and left them to mature, with hundreds of frogs, before repairing pool.

BTW... every year we have at least on or two squirrels with damaged tails. Last two with absent tails we named Nada and Stubby. Last year we had one with broken tail, but still attached. In the fall she fell from a tree and met her demise.

geekgranny said:
... an adult emerald green, with yellow belly, non-venomous, snake, 36", got into pool and baked in the 100+ morning temp/sun. It was noon before I found it at the drain where there was a bit of water. I thought I knew all of the snake types out here, and see at least one live snake every day. I had never seen this kind of snake before. I tried to identify it but I nothing I've found has helped me put a name to it.....

Try "Rough Green Snake" in google images.

lee32903 said:
geekgranny said:
... an adult emerald green, with yellow belly, non-venomous, snake, 36", got into pool and baked in the 100+ morning temp/sun. It was noon before I found it at the drain where there was a bit of water. I thought I knew all of the snake types out here, and see at least one live snake every day. I had never seen this kind of snake before. I tried to identify it but I nothing I've found has helped me put a name to it.....

Thanks, similar color/scaling, a bit darker, closer to emerald, but diameter of snake was over 1" most of body, and pretty large head. The width of the "rough green" in pictures would be newly born or hatched of this particular snake. I have pictures I'll post. I do think the color may have been affected a bit by "cooking".

gg=alice

I have found baby toads, and three snakes. Two snakes decided that swimming into the main drain while the filter was running was a good idea. :( The third I managed to extract. All this with a screen enclosure. I now have a cat that prowls the patio/pool area. I don't expect to see more cratures in the pool.

geekgranny said:
lee32903 said:
geekgranny said:

Thanks, similar color/scaling, a bit darker, closer to emerald, but diameter of snake was over 1" most of body, and pretty large head. The width of the "rough green" in pictures would be newly born or hatched of this particular snake. I have pictures I'll post. I do think the color may have been affected a bit by "cooking".
gg=alice

I made a mistake. Acid washed pool in 2008.

Pics of two different snakes. First is the emerald green snake. The color was more vivid than what shows in picture. DH hand with exam glove on.

Second snake is adult. When the pool was drained there were several newborns of this in water in drain. I hand picked them out. They started biting immediately. Feisty little buggers.

Last picture is "bucket o copperheads". This is from a little over one weeks collection, most right up at house, furthest away 20 ft, from our nightly "copperhead runs". Count the heads.

IMG_2271.jpg

IMG_2274.jpg

IMG_2278.jpg

IMG_3366.jpg

IMG_3371.jpg

IMG_3373.jpg

IMG_3218.jpg

Yikes :shock: :shock: :mrgreen: I dont think I would want these critters swimming with me. I am very happy we have a pool enclosure :-D :-D :cheers: :cheers:

Brentr said:
Yikes :shock: :shock: :mrgreen: I dont think I would want these critters swimming with me. I am very happy we have a pool enclosure :-D :-D :cheers: :cheers:

DH would never permit me to spend the money on an enclosure unless we won a big lottery. We've had several copperheads in the house and the first month we moved in a juvenile Rattlesnake cooling off smack dab in the middle of the dining room. It's wild out here. :wink: Our explosion of frogs, when the pool became "frog pond", made for a HUGE explosion in Copperheads, too. We just have to be really careful, lots of lighting, flashlights, headlights, and no barefoot except on decks, and bring the younger dogs in at dusk to avoid so many snake bites. After so much time you get used to taking precautions for all critters, warm and cold "blooded".

gg=alice

geekgranny said:
lee32903 said:
geekgranny said:

gg=alice
Maybe an Eastern Yellow Belly Racer?

http://www.austinreptileservice.net/solid.html

--paulr

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.