Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing a Polris auto clear with Compupool CPSC36

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing a Polris auto clear with Compupool CPSC36

First off I want to say what a great site here with loads of information. I stumbled upon this with a google search and am happy that you guys are here.

My autoclear was hit by lighting and no longer functions, so I purchased the cpsc36 to replace it. I know that it looks very easy and straight forward, but I have to ask some questions.

I am going from 220v to 220v so that is easy. My question is that the polaris is connected with regular 14 gauge electrical wire with only 2 copper leads, one white and one black. The cpsc36 has three wires that are braded, one red, one black and one green. How would I connect this to the timer box that the polaris is now connected to?

Any help is appreciated,

Steve
    Houston-area (Katy, TX)
    10,000 inground plaster pool
    1.5 HP, 2-speed Hayward
    Cartridge Filter
    400k BTU gas heater
    E-Command 4 automation

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing a Polris auto clear with Compupool CPSC36

Green is ground. There should be a ground wire around somewhere to connect it to. Black goes where black was and red goes where white was.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason. That certainly was a fast response. Can I just ground the green anywhere on the timer box where I see the other grounds? There is a lug on the bottom of the power unit. I plan on bonding that to the other copper wire in and around the pumps, etc. Is that a good idea?
    Houston-area (Katy, TX)
    1.5 HP, 2-speed Hayward
    Cartridge Filter
    400k BTU gas heater
    E-Command 4 automation

4. Back To Top    #4

If you have a ground strip with other grounds attached and an empty spot, is usually a good place, but anywhere in the timer box would probably be fine.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, connect the green wire where you see the other grounds connected in the box.

Bonding and grounding are two different things. While the bonding wire is often connected to ground, you don't normally want to create any more connections between the bonding system and ground than you have to. The SWG should have somewhere for the bonding wire to attach, separate from ground.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

The bonding and grounding are seperate. The bonding lug is on the bottom of the cpsc itself. I had one on the polaris also but it was not connected to anything. Where would a good point be to bond this system? The ground wire (green) is in the same sheath as the red and black so I will find a plact o attach that inside th time box. I will swap the systems over tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again fro all the help,

Steve
    Houston-area (Katy, TX)
    1.5 HP, 2-speed Hayward
    Cartridge Filter
    400k BTU gas heater
    E-Command 4 automation

7. Back To Top    #7

There should be a solid #8 Green Ground/Bond Wire connected to the pump motor. This should also be eventually connected to a ground rod. Connect the bond wire to the bottom of the CPCS unit and to the pump motor bond wire.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

8. Back To Top    #8

If you need bonding wire and lugs, Home Depot carries them along with the green screws (part of the code) they need to attach.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks again guys for all the help and tips. The changeover was very easy. It only took 5 minutes to switch the electric connectors, and about 30 minutes for the plumbing. The only drawback that I can see so far with this system is the relatively short length of the cable that attaches to the salt cell. It is said to be 6', but that does not go far at all. The power wire is much longer. With my current installation, I did not have much choice of where to place the salt cell, unless I got crazy with the PVC, so my salt cell cable to cpsc power box hangs in the air. Not ideal, but I will put a fence around the entire pump/filter area to keep my dogs from running by it and unplugging the cord.

The front face of the cpsc is very easy to use and it runs a test everytime it powers to give the ppm. It takes a bit over a minute to do that. It also tells the water temp. Very simple push button controls to adjust the chlorine production and the run time.

For a grand total of $649 shipped, it is at least half of what the local pool companies wanted to charge me with other systems like the Hayward or Jandie. I have used Polaris products in my salt pools since 2002, so I will report back on how this one compares througout the summer months here in south east Alabama.

Thanks again,

Steve
    Houston-area (Katy, TX)
    1.5 HP, 2-speed Hayward
    Cartridge Filter
    400k BTU gas heater
    E-Command 4 automation

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by stevehebert
    For a grand total of $649 shipped, it is at least half of what the local pool companies wanted to charge me with other systems like the Hayward or Jandie. I have used Polaris products in my salt pools since 2002, so I will report back on how this one compares througout the summer months here in south east Alabama.

Thanks again,

Steve
    Hey Steve,

I know summer is not over yet but I am wondering about your experience with this equipment.
    IG, 18K gal, plaster, DE filter