.75 or 1 HP motor for my pool?

Nov 25, 2009
Cleona, PA
So, my pool is 15x30x4 or 13,500 gallons. It's rectangular, and has the inlet jet on one end, and the skimmer on the other.

I'm wondering, should I get a .75 or a 1 HP motor?

I was thinking, with a 1HP, I'd have to run the pump less. Am I thinking correctly? What's been your experience?

Yes, with a larger pump you can run the pump for a shorter period, but it will use more electricity. In fact it will use so much more electricity that it will end up using more total electricity than the smaller pump run for a longer period of time.

Pump HP ratings are not completely consistent, some 3/4 HP pumps are actually the same size as some 1 HP pumps, while others are quite a bit less that 3/4s as powerful. It helps a great deal to know the service factor (SF) of the pump along with the HP to get a more precise view of how powerful it is. The power available for moving water is HP times SF, often called SFHP. If none of this paragraph makes any sense, tell us what brand/model of pump you are looking at and we can make specific suggestions on the size.

The Jacuzzi's motor has a service factor of 1.0 so it's sfhp is 3/4.
The Astral motor is also a 1.0 SF motor.
I can't find out anything about the Super Pro Force motor. I suspect it's SF is 1.0 too.
If I were you I'd seriously consider a 2-speed pump. It gives you more versatility and if you can run it on low speed most of the time it saves a lot of money in electricity usage.

Bama Rambler said:
If I were you I'd seriously consider a 2-speed pump. It gives you more versatility and if you can run it on low speed most of the time it saves a lot of money in electricity usage.

And I would take a hard look at the Pentair also. Some of the pumps mentioned are, in my opinion, of questionable quality.

How old is your current pump and why are you replacing it? A simple motor swap could be a cost effect solution.

I currently have no pump. Do to a ... ummm... mix up... it was thrown out while moving in since somebody thought it was a spare.

I have this really nice above ground... filter... equipment, solar cover... no pump. And a small budget.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the tips...
I found a local place that had a used Hayward 3/4 for $189... then I found this:
http://poolsuppliessuperstore.com/pools ... -2472.html
Hayward Power Flo LX 1HP, for $189 NEW!!!

Free shipping, I'll do that. It's a little more HP than I need, but I do have a 30 ft pool.

With the timer, I shouldn't have to run that all the time, correct? Just let the timer turn it on and off?

It's not self priming... where can I read up about that? I'm assuming I just have to make sure there is water in it and all the plumbing before I start it, correct?

AG pool pumps usually aren't self priming. You just make sure the pump basket is full of water, and the filter housing has an air bleed, the connections are tight, and the suction/gravity usually does the trick.

Yes, use a timer, you should not have to run it all the time. You want at least a full turnover of the total pool water in a run time. We usually recommend folks start out with 12 hours a day, and then reduce the run time by an hour, a little at a time till you find your ideal run time. If you start to see the water quality deteriorate then increase the run time back up. Also it's a good idea to run it for a few hours in the middle of the day (to prevent FC dead spots from the UV rays) and then you can do some time at night (in some areas nighttime hours are cheaper for them).

Sweet, I think I'm ready. I put the thermometer in yesterday. I'll check tonight when I get home from work the temp. I probably won't open till May, but it's been unseasonably warm here, and I want to order the pump in enough time to have it ready.

1 more question. The cement pad that the pump and filter sit on is lower than the pool. I don't believe that there are bolts in the cement to hold the pump. Is that necessary?

How far away is the pool equipment from your skimmer and what size pipe do you have over at your equipment--1.5" or 2?" Knowing that will also help making the decision. My guess would probably be a .75 HP Whisperflo pump. You don't want to oversize it if you are dealing with a skimmer that is really close to your pump and 1.5" plumbing. More info please.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.