Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: .75 or 1 HP motor for my pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

.75 or 1 HP motor for my pool?

So, my pool is 15x30x4 or 13,500 gallons. It's rectangular, and has the inlet jet on one end, and the skimmer on the other.

I'm wondering, should I get a .75 or a 1 HP motor?

I was thinking, with a 1HP, I'd have to run the pump less. Am I thinking correctly? What's been your experience?
    13,500 Wilkes Vinyl AG (15'x30' rectangular)
    Hayward Power-Flo LX SP1580, 1HP
    Hayward S-160T High Rate Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: .75 or 1 HP motor for my pool?

Yes, with a larger pump you can run the pump for a shorter period, but it will use more electricity. In fact it will use so much more electricity that it will end up using more total electricity than the smaller pump run for a longer period of time.

Pump HP ratings are not completely consistent, some 3/4 HP pumps are actually the same size as some 1 HP pumps, while others are quite a bit less that 3/4s as powerful. It helps a great deal to know the service factor (SF) of the pump along with the HP to get a more precise view of how powerful it is. The power available for moving water is HP times SF, often called SFHP. If none of this paragraph makes any sense, tell us what brand/model of pump you are looking at and we can make specific suggestions on the size.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I was looking at poolsupplies.com and their pumps. I was looking at these:

3/4 HP pump:
    Jacuzzi swimming pool pump - http://www.poolsupplies.com/cgi-bin/com ... add=action

1HP pumps:
    Astral Astramax 1800 - http://www.poolsupplies.com/cgi-bin/com ... add=action
    Super Pro Force 1 HP - http://www.poolsupplies.com/cgi-bin/com ... Parts.html

4. Back To Top    #4

Any more thoughts for me?

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mkenyon2
    Any more thoughts for me?
    If you become a member of TFP - 30 bucks - you'll get a discount at several pool supply places. The discount might be worth it.

You get a discount on the Cadillac of test kits, too.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

The Jacuzzi's motor has a service factor of 1.0 so it's sfhp is 3/4.
    The Astral motor is also a 1.0 SF motor.
    I can't find out anything about the Super Pro Force motor. I suspect it's SF is 1.0 too.
    If I were you I'd seriously consider a 2-speed pump. It gives you more versatility and if you can run it on low speed most of the time it saves a lot of money in electricity usage.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    If I were you I'd seriously consider a 2-speed pump. It gives you more versatility and if you can run it on low speed most of the time it saves a lot of money in electricity usage.
    And I would take a hard look at the Pentair also. Some of the pumps mentioned are, in my opinion, of questionable quality.

8. Back To Top    #8

How old is your current pump and why are you replacing it? A simple motor swap could be a cost effect solution.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

I currently have no pump. Do to a ... ummm... mix up... it was thrown out while moving in since somebody thought it was a spare.

I have this really nice above ground... filter... equipment, solar cover... no pump. And a small budget.

10. Back To Top    #10

Anything larger than a 3/4 and you'll get to enjoy a lazy river when it runs. If you can afford it - 2 speed 3/4.
    16X32 AB, Jacuzzi Laser 190 19" sand filter, 3/4hp Pentair Optiflo, CircuPool RJ30+ swg, TF 100

11. Back To Top    #11

ditto on 2 speed 3/4hp...you would save power usage in the long run.

pm93
    19,000 gallon, irregular kidney shaped, plaster pool surrounded by (8) cypress, (1) oleander, (3) palm trees, (2) unknown shrubbery
    Pentair Tagelus 100D sand filter, with fresh #20 silica sand, and WhisperFlow 3/4 hp. full rated pump
    Innovative Pools controls with digital timers and remote light switch
    Hayward pool sweep with new gearbox A-Frame & turbine, and pods

TFP's resident Pool Fool :)

12. Back To Top    #12

The previous pump was a Hayward Power Flo 3/4 HP. I found the manual for it.

13. Back To Top    #13

So... the previous pump was 3/4 HP on a timer.
    I'm looking at Hayward pumps, since that is what they had.
    What are the difference between these 2 Hayward 1HP pumps?
    http://www.poolsupplies.com/cgi-bin/com ... Parts.html
    http://www.poolsupplies.com/cgi-bin/com ... Parts.html

If you still think a 2 speed 3/4 HP pump, what do you recommend?

14. Back To Top    #14

FYI, you previously mentioned the Jacuzzi pump. Jacuzzi Brothers no longer makes pool equipment (they were bought out), the warranty is void, and no parts are being manufactured.
    So... you should rule that one out.

You can look here to see the difference between the 2 pumps you listed:
    http://www.haywardnet.com/abovegroun...son_charts.cfm
    32' x 15', 25k gallon gunite IG pool, California Quartz plaster in Tahoe color
    Pentair equip (Intelliflow VS+AU pump, DE filter, IC40 SWG)
    Spa wall removed to make "seating" area

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks for the tips...
    I found a local place that had a used Hayward 3/4 for $189... then I found this:
    http://poolsuppliessuperstore.com/pools ... -2472.html
    Hayward Power Flo LX 1HP, for $189 NEW!!!

Free shipping, I'll do that. It's a little more HP than I need, but I do have a 30 ft pool.

With the timer, I shouldn't have to run that all the time, correct? Just let the timer turn it on and off?

It's not self priming... where can I read up about that? I'm assuming I just have to make sure there is water in it and all the plumbing before I start it, correct?

16. Back To Top    #16

AG pool pumps usually aren't self priming. You just make sure the pump basket is full of water, and the filter housing has an air bleed, the connections are tight, and the suction/gravity usually does the trick.

Yes, use a timer, you should not have to run it all the time. You want at least a full turnover of the total pool water in a run time. We usually recommend folks start out with 12 hours a day, and then reduce the run time by an hour, a little at a time till you find your ideal run time. If you start to see the water quality deteriorate then increase the run time back up. Also it's a good idea to run it for a few hours in the middle of the day (to prevent FC dead spots from the UV rays) and then you can do some time at night (in some areas nighttime hours are cheaper for them).
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

17. Back To Top    #17

Sweet, I think I'm ready. I put the thermometer in yesterday. I'll check tonight when I get home from work the temp. I probably won't open till May, but it's been unseasonably warm here, and I want to order the pump in enough time to have it ready.

1 more question. The cement pad that the pump and filter sit on is lower than the pool. I don't believe that there are bolts in the cement to hold the pump. Is that necessary?

18. Back To Top    #18

In the Industry

How far away is the pool equipment from your skimmer and what size pipe do you have over at your equipment--1.5" or 2?" Knowing that will also help making the decision. My guess would probably be a .75 HP Whisperflo pump. You don't want to oversize it if you are dealing with a skimmer that is really close to your pump and 1.5" plumbing. More info please.

19. Back To Top    #19

The skimmer is at the opposite end of the pool. The pipe runs along the ground, 15' to the corner, then almost 30 (maybe 25') down to the skimmer. It's 1.5" pipe.