is reccomended levels or CSI more important

Aug 17, 2009
I currently have a high TA reading but balanced CSI. When I play with the calclator and am in the process of getting my TA in check I am in the corrosive range.

FC- 4
PH- 7.5
TA- 230
CH-310
Salt- not yet- bleach until the curing is done
Borates- 40

What should my goal be. Based on the current readings Im balanced, and if I try to lower my TA I need to lower my PH which puts me in the corrosion range until my TA is lowered.

I am concerned as its a newly plastered pool- pebble and I find it bothersome that Ill be in the corrosion range.

THanks in advance!

Did you mean a TA of 200 ppm? What is your Calcium Hardness (CH) level?

You can just add acid as needed to keep the pH in proper range. Over time, the TA will drop as a result of adding acid. You don't have to accelerate the lowering of your TA unless you find that the pH is rising faster than you are able to keep up with it by lowering it with acid.

Also, you should probably follow the advice of your pool builder / replasterer since you don't want to void any warranty they may have. You can also read about different plaster start-up procedures here.

I sure hope your TA is not 2!

If you are in the first 30 days after new plaster was applied, you should not be raising TA or CH, regardless of what CSI is. Even after the first 30 days you want CSI to be somewhat negative.

Please tell us how long ago the plaster was applied, what kind of finish you have, and what your TA and CH levels are.

Based on the revised numbers you are not anywhere near the "corrosion range", if anything you could potentially have problems with scaling if you let the PH go up too much. As long as you keep the PH under control (between 7.2 and 7.8) you will be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.