Easy Touch System shut down after chlorine generator unplugg

Mar 5, 2010
Hello -

We are new pool owners and have Pentair Easy Touch 8 and 4.

Yesterday our new pool guy came out to service our pool. We recently had it cleaned and refilled, so he was adding in the salt. Apparently, he unplugged the chlorine generator while the pool was running. When he plugged it back in, the control panel wouldnt light up. The outside control panel won't light up, the remote won't turn on, and the chlorine generator still won't light up. The pool is running though.

Did he fry our system? Seems weird the pool is running.

Any thoughts on how to get everything lit up again?

Thanks so much!

The chlorine generator isn't lit up and nothing on the outdoor control panel is lit. The remote turns on but says "no communication". Everything sounds like its runnung and the pool is running.

HHMMM. Can you press the "F" button out on the box itself and turn the pump on and off? If that feature still works, it may be a fuse? I dunno. Never had an issue with mine.

The manual says to turn the power off the control box before either unplugging or plugging in the Intellichlor. I've unplugged and plugged in mine many times without an issue, but i've always turned to power off before i did.

I think PoolguyNJ might be some help. He deals with Pentair a lot I think. He should be along at some point.

He could check the main, but the Easytouch box acts as a subpanel and doesnt really work the way your thinking, Ohm_boy. If the pump is running, there is power to the box. It usually has 100 amp line run to it from the main. The way it's wired is that there are separate circuits in the box for the differnt devices hooked into the panel. The filter pump has its own circuit breaker inside the easytouch. The SWG plugs into a port on the bottom of the panel. This line supplies the power and sends and receives signals from the SWG. The power to the SWG comes from the same circuit as the filter pump. Everything is hard wired into the box, so there is no GFI on the pump or SWG. The only GFI that might be present would be on a 120v receptacle.
My guess is that an internal fuse may have blown? Thats why i want to know if the "F" button will turn the pump on and off.

Nothing happens when I push the F button. Nothing happens when I push any of the buttons on the control panel - its as if its not turned on.

Do you think we should turn it off at the circut breaker?

bk406 said:
He could check the main, but the Easytouch box acts as a subpanel and doesnt really work the way your thinking, Ohm_boy. If the pump is running, there is power to the box. It usually has 100 amp line run to it from the main. The way it's wired is that there are separate circuits in the box for the differnt devices hooked into the panel. The filter pump has its own circuit breaker inside the easytouch. The SWG plugs into a port on the bottom of the panel. This line supplies the power and sends and receives signals from the SWG. The power to the SWG comes from the same circuit as the filter pump. Everything is hard wired into the box, so there is no GFI on the pump or SWG. The only GFI that might be present would be on a 120v receptacle.
My guess is that an internal fuse may have blown? Thats why i want to know if the "F" button will turn the pump on and off.

Meh, it was a stab. I had to ask.

If the pump is running, then the Easytouch has power. You can turn the pump on and off with the breaker in the Easytouch box. It's up to you if you want to turn the pump off. It wont hurt anything to keep it running, you just dont have any automation right now. The Intellichlor isnt working because the Easytouch isnt sending any power to it.

Sounds like a fuse or maybe the mother board fried. As I said, the power should be truned off when plugging or unplugging the SWG.

Call Pentair customer support and describe the problem. They are usually pretty helpful.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.