Apr 26, 2007
It is barely 40 degrees outside and I came home today and the bottom of my pool is turning green. I closed it down properly in the fall. What do i need to do? I also would like to know how to clean the bad stains off my vinyl liner ? Thank You

Welcome to TFP. :wave:

For us to advise you better, we'll need a bit more information. Have you read Pool School? There are many helpful articles there.

Can you provide some details about your pool and where you are located.... you can put all of this information in your profile and/or signature. Go to User Control Panel, then Profile, then Edit Signature.

Is your filter/pump hooked up? Are you about to open for the season?

We usually ask for a full set of test results, but if you aren't able to circulate the water the tests will likely not be accurate.

When you filter/pump is up and running, Algae can be dealt with fairly simple by following the steps in the "Defeating Algae" article in Pool School. We can walk you thru it when you are ready.

Can you elaborate a bit about the stains?

What kind of cover did you use when you closed the pool in the winter.

Right now, the green algae is dormant. If you have leaves, the brown stains are tannin and will fade with exposure to chlorine when the pool is running. Right now, there is not much to do.

Where are you located and what kind of pool is it?

We'll get you though this.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.