Pop-up/Filter issues

Jul 20, 2008
Queen Creek, AZ
Not sure if this is the right place to post this. Last year I had my nephews over and one of them decided to push down on one of the pop ups. We managed to get the top portion of it out, but till this day, not sure if part of it is still in the pop up system pipes. We figured it should have came out since we ran the system without that pop-up for a day and the pressure should have taken it out. We replaced it 2 days later, and everything seemed fine. After a while, I noticed the pop-ups would never go down anymore. They would still cycle through, but some pressure was always leaving them up which stops them from rotating as they go down. Then I noticed our manifold in the filter system started to crack and would get worse everytime I cleaned the filters. We decided to get a brand new manifold. Once the manifold was installed, it was working great for 3 minutes, suddenly the outlet tube (we have a jandy CL filter system) started leaking which has never happened before. Then the sides of the tank top started to leak. I was sure the manifold would solved the problems, but I guess there is a bigger issues here. Do you think that pop up piece is still in there and causing back pressure somehow. I need opinions before I shell out huge money for someone to come out here.

Is the floor system an A&A or Paramount?
What kind of pool and how old is it?
Can you send return water to regular pool returns instead of to the floor system? If so, do so.
You can remove the belly band clamp, remove the lid and check the gears and valves for any grit or signs of wear. Since the filter was opened, and I assume the cartridges were removed/cleaned (right?), it's possible that some crud got into the return plumbing and got caught.

Scott

I provided a picture of the problem here. The pool is 2 years old built by the infamous Riviera Pools which is out of business. We have to fix everything ourselves. its a pebble tec pool in ground bout 11,000 gallons. We are able to use the floor system and the regular returns, but the leak still occures. I will try the last suggestion and check for gears. I did clean the filters right before this happened.

DSC04128.jpg

Additional suggestion. Turn off the pump, drain the filter tank, loosen both unions holding the tank to the plumbing. See if the O-ring and surfaces are clean, and in good shape. A dab of Jack Lube or magic lube on the O-ring will help when sliding the tank back into position. Everything should line up nicely. If the top fitting is out a little, the slab likely sank on the back edge, pitching the tank backwards slightly. When you tighten the unions, do the top one first, then the bottom. Then test for leaks.

Scott

PoolGuyNJ said:
Additional suggestion. Turn off the pump, drain the filter tank, loosen both unions holding the tank to the plumbing. See if the O-ring and surfaces are clean, and in good shape. A dab of Jack Lube or magic lube on the O-ring will help when sliding the tank back into position. Everything should line up nicely. If the top fitting is out a little, the slab likely sank on the back edge, pitching the tank backwards slightly. When you tighten the unions, do the top one first, then the bottom. Then test for leaks.

Scott
Thank you so much for all of your help. It ended up being the O-ring was not properly in place (thanks to me ). Now its leak free. The pop-up problem still remains. I should have mentioned before that our old pop up gear system broke since the balls inside would destroy the gears. We finally replaced it wth a flap system which worked great intil my nephew broke one of the pop ups. They all still stay up except the new one we bought to replace the broken one. The new one is a different brand and it seems to be for that particular flap system. We bought them from the same place. We are planning to replace all of the pop up eventually, but it still bugs me that it was working at one time and now the system is not working properly. Have you ever seen a situation like this ?

g-smiley - kind of an off topic question, but - we purchased a pool from Riviera as well, along with the pop-up system. I know that you replaced the old one, but Have you ever taken the housing for the ball pop-up system apart? If so, how did you get it back together? Also - one of the 'proprietary' pop-ups broke... which brand did you use to replace yours?
Thanks in advance - Bob

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.