Effect of poor pool circulation on solar heater

Mar 3, 2010
I have another thread going, but this is a totally separate issue that should probably be addressed.

Our pool is older, and we only have one skimmer/vacuum port (i.e. I plug my vacuum into my skimmer) and one bottom port. The bottom seems to be clogged - there's no flow going to it. I know in new pools there' a value to determine how much flow comes from the skimmer vs the bottom port, but my setup doesn't have a valve - there's a T somewhere underground.

So my question is this - right now when I have my skimmer going the circulation seems very poor. I have "dead" areas where leaves never seem to escape and the return jets don't seem to agitate the water much. I think this is ever worse because the bottom port doesn't work, which means that perhaps my hot water coming from the solar heater won't get pulled down to the bottom of the pool.

I just wanted to get a feel for how big of an issue this is and if I should spend the time/money to unblock that bottom port and potentially add a value so I can control the flow.

Thanks again all - this forum is great!

If I plug the skimmer port my pump stops getting water.

I have a deck around my pool - are you saying that I'd likely have to tear that up if I wanted them to come back to a vale that I could control?

Some old Anthony/Sylvan pools (pre merger) have/had a skimmer with a valve control knob in it under the basket. Still others are simply teed under the skimmer.

If yours is teed and when you plug the skimmer (single plug, not two stacked) the flow stops, then the drain is either plugged or the line is plugged.

Have you experienced any water loss?

Have you tried to blow the suction lines? Plugging the skimmer should force the air out drain. A powerful shop vac should have enough umph.

Scott

Circulation problems are usually caused by improper aiming of the return jet(s), rather than anything to do with the skimmer/main drain. If you have several returns, the aiming of the returns is fairly flexible and can be done in several ways. If you only have a single return jet, aiming it correctly can be a little fussy and must be done carefully. With a single return, you want to aim it sharply to the side and down towards the deep end of the pool. Then you need to fiddle with it until you have a good circulation of water going around the pool in circles. Aiming down towards the bottom of the deep end insures mixing of the surface water and the deep water. Getting the water going in a good circle around the pool insures that as much debris as possible will be carried around to the skimmer.

It is fairly common for bottom drains to become clogged, or to have been sealed off at some point in the past because they leaked. It is worth some fiddling around to see if you can get it working, but if it doesn't happen easily it is likely to be extremely difficult and not worth the effort.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.