Bromine Question/Clarification

Nov 14, 2009
Looking for some clarification concerning bromine 3 step system.
I have a 400 gal. (1515 litre) tub which I was using a 2 step bromine system. I was using SpaGaurd Bromonating Concentrate after each use as per dealers advice and shocking weekly and after heavy use with SpaGaurd Spa Lite oxidizer.

I have just flushed and decontaminated (as per Nitro's procedure), balanced chems. ph 7.6, Ta 50 (started at 290), Ch was 60 now estimate 140ish and established a bromine reserve with 2ozs sodium bromide (HTH packet) and shocked with 6% ultra Clorox (aprox. 1 1/4 cups). I have put 4 bromine tabs in a feeder and am trying to establish the proper feed rate.

My question concerns what is to be done after the tub is used? With a 2 step system I would add an amount of brominating concentrate per bather load/soaking time after use. With a 3 part system I am a little fuzzy on what is done after we use the tub. Would I add an amount of clorox to re-establish the reserve? If so how much?

I know the answer is probably right in front of me but for some reason I can't see it!

also is a Ta of 50 to low?

I won't comment on the bromine question, as I use chlorine and don't wanna give bad advice. However, the alkalinity should be fine at 50. It will help keep the pH stable with all the aeration from the jets.

It's still a little slow around here, so hopefully someone who can give an answer regarding the bromine will be around soon. Good luck, just keep on browsing here, lots of good info around here to soak up!

Once you have established the bromine reserve you can reactivate the bromine with chlorine (or ozone, or MPS, or any of several other things, but chlorine is usually the least expensive). After using the tub you would normally measure the active bromine level and add enough chlorine to raise it back up to between 4 and 6.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.