Home depot for Pool Paint??

MJCP

Sep 14, 2007
Michigan
I noticed Pool Paint available from Home depot does anyone have any thoughts pro or con.

I figure since Home Depot doesn't actually make pool paint they probably get it from one of the few companies that make it under other names, so it's probably the same paint. And it would sure be more convenient to buy it from Home Depot incase I got a bad can and needed to return it.

Any thoughts at all?

Mike

MJCP said:
I noticed Pool Paint available from Home depot does anyone have any thoughts pro or con.
Hello Mike,

If you're thinking of painting your pool, take a few minutes to browse the following threads. No charge for this advice!

MJCP's profile lists a painted cement surface.

simicrintz said:
Home Depot/Pool Paint. McDonald's/Fine Dining. The Ultimate Driving Machine/Yugo. Marriage Material/Pamela Anderson.

Those are just a few of my thoughts.........

Not sure what you're saying here - HomeDepot pool paint is bad next to some other type of pool paint, or all pool paint is bad?

I am not a fan of painted pools. I do not know of any pool builder that builds a pool and then paints it as a finished product. Painted pools, in my opinion, are a cheap, temporary fix for a pool that needs proper refinishing, and I have never seen one last for more than 2 years.

I guess what I was saying is that Home Depot is a great store for the DIY crowd, but it is not a pool supply store. If you want lumber, HD is a good place to go, but you wouldn't expect the pool supply house to be able to guide you on lumber if they tried to sell it! Pool paint is, at best, a short term product, and I would not expect to find anyone real knowledgeable about it at HD.

No offense to Home Depot; I am in there nearly every day! In fact, just yesterday, a guy from the Garden Department was trying to help a customer in the Appliance Department. He obviously did not know appliances, and finally said so, which was a credit to him! I just worry about the guy selling you the pool paint when he really does not know anything about it, and is not really looking out for your best interests.

There are too many types of pool paint. You can't just use one type on top of another in most situations. Most makers, if you give them enough chips, will tell you what you have/need. This test may be a billable service. Some eat it if you buy their paint. The two brands I have used with decent results are Olympic/Kelly Coatings and Sau-Sea. I know nothing of what types Home Depot sells or who makes it for them.

Scott

PoolGuyNJ said:
There are too many types of pool paint. You can't just use one type on top of another in most situations. Most makers, if you give them enough chips, will tell you what you have/need. This test may be a billable service. Some eat it if you buy their paint. The two brands I have used with decent results are Olympic/Kelly Coatings and Sau-Sea. I know nothing of what types Home Depot sells or who makes it for them.

Scott

Point taken AND it would be interesting to know, if someone can find out..... who makes the HD product. I have a "casual " friend, who is a manager at an HD. If I can remember to ask her, and if she can really find out, I'll see if I can get some info. She certainly knows a lot of technical info (with loads of personal experience) about the construction adhesives that have been previously carried, not carried, or currently stocked by HD. I asked about one for a particular use once and she can out "info overload" me even. :shock:

Sorry to say, and don't want to imply any pros or cons for anyone considering painting a pool surface, but if I had to do some appearance "damage control", at this time, I would certainly consider using a good pool paint as a temp fix and use up some pay-backs by construction/handy-person oriented friends.

gg=alice

If you are going to be re-painting the pool, i would suggest that you have it done professionally, if anyone will take it on that is. Mainly because there is a lot of prep work to be done. To do correctly, all the old stuff should be removed. Water or sand blasting, then scraping. So as the paint can bond good to the pool surface.

I know it's expensive, but you may happier (when its done) to remove the paint, and plaster the pool. The structure needs to be in good shape though, no cracks. That may have been why the pool was painted in the first place, some paints are semi flexible and could handle (the small movements of) cracks w/o opening and leaking.

If anyone knows if paints/coatings have gotten better in the last 5 to 10 years or so, please jump in here and share your experience(s), Because I have got no good ones.

Thanks for all your thoughts sofar, some more background.

30+ year old pool, previously painted
Refinish - Not in this economy (My business is down just like the rest of the country)

DIY vs. Paid Labor. Yes I'm lacking in experience but powerwashing, scrubbing, muriatic acid cleaning, taping off tiles - I'm way cheaper than those Pool Boys. and as before - $$$

Paint manufacturers!
You would be surprised how many companies sell products that are actually made by their own competitors, but relabeled. - Did you ever notice that all 3 brands of Milk at your grocery store have the same kind of label? have the same code on the bottle, and came off the same truck? I am guessing that Home Depot doesn't have a Pool Paint manufacturing facility. I would guess only a few Paint Companies actually make Pool Paint.

I have read of people who bought pool paint and it was bad in the can and they had to argue with the salepeople to get credit, it would sure be easier to return a bad can to HD than to ship it somewhere.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yea, I meant to mention that too. That stuff does have a shelf life. And look closely and the date codes on the product too b4 you buy. Some are readable, some are not. Not that the printing wipes off, what they print is gibberish. Only someone that knows the key would know the date, convenient huh? Makes me think, That stuff is real expensive (i hear) so the stuff isn't really flying off the shelfs, so it might sit there for a while. You don't want the customer knowing the date when it has expired.

eNd ranT.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.