Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: natural chemistry cya

1. Back To Top    #1

natural chemistry cya

This product was recommended to me at a local pool store recently and I was wondering if there were any comments on it. The main benefit of this specific product was that it apparently raises your CYA right away as opposed to waiting the 4-7 days.
    naturalchemistry
    Thanks,
    N
    [color=#0000BF]16x32 inground vinyl liner approx 23 000 gallons
    22" cyclone sand filter, 1 HP pump
    solar cover, solar heating panels
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    It is the monosodium salt of cyanuric acid. It is extremely fast dissolving. From what I know of it the only drawback is the price.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks...it was a couple of weeks ago now that I looked at it...from what I remember it didn't seem to be outrageously priced in comparison to other CYAs. Ofcourse...now I'm curious enough to have to go and confirm that.
    N
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4
    One gallon of the stuff is supposed to raise CYA 40 ppm in 10k of water and costs about $25, it takes less than 4 lbs of CYA to do the same and you can buy 4 pounds of CYA as low as $9.95 on the net. In pool stores in my area 4 lbs of CYA go for about $16 and I've seen it for $10 on sale.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for doing my research for me
    N
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Also, to raise 40 ppm CYA in 10k of water would take 6.6 pounds of Dichlor (dihydrate) which costs $2.60 per pound at Leslie's so that would be $17.16 and you would get 43.8 ppm Free Chlorine in addition to CYA and Dichlor quickly dissolves. So though you wouldn't add it all in one shot, you could add it as your daily source of chlorine for a while and be relatively economical.

Ironically, the use of Dichlor (after taking into account chlorine usage) is actually more acidic than adding the equivalent amount of Cyanuric Acid from pure CYA.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"