Start up question

Aug 17, 2009
We will finally be getting our pool pebbled at the end of this week or next. My PBer will be starting up the pool. As I read the start up procedure in the pool school it said to wait to add salt for three weeks. Our PBer says that adding salt wont be a problem with Pebble. He said that the information given in the pool school is for regular plaster not pebble. True or False?

In my understanding, pebble IS regular plaster with the aggregate in it, which is acid washed to expose the aggregate. I may be wrong.

So you treat an aggregate surface (from a chemical standpoint) the same as plaster.

Just be sure whatever you do (or don't do) will not void your warranty.

Plaster is the same as pebble salt wise, except that there is less plaster. Most of the surface is pebble, with only small strips of plaster between pebbles. Those small strips of plaster need to same care as a plain plaster surface would.

Not everyone agrees about the need to wait before adding salt. The National Plasterers Council says not to add salt for 28 days, but many builders add it anyway and nothing too obvious goes wrong. In theory, salt will cause pitting of the plaster surface, which isn't such a big deal between the pebbles where it will be difficult to see, but it does weaken the surface a little.

JasonLion said:
The National Plasterers Council says not to add salt for 28 days, but many builders add it anyway and nothing too obvious goes wrong.

The warranty on my product states that all NPC and the Association of Pool and Spa Professionals guidelines must be followed. If it were me, I'd either get the PB to leave the salt by the pool and add it myself after 28 days, or write a note on the contract about him adding the salt early against NPC guidelines and get him to initial and date it. Well, actually I would not let him do it early period.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.